Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Slow Cooker Autumn Pumpkin Chili

              
              Time sure is a funny thing sometimes..It seems to be slipping away from me quicker than I realize. I apologize for the long absence. I am still very much here and doing well.

It's that time of year again..the weather is colder and we received our first snow warning. It's too early for that. But let me be clear..It will always be too early when doing everything by bike! Speaking of which..biking has gone well. I've been caught in the rain more times than I would like but it is what it is. I am loving the money saving aspect of it all and the amount of extra exercise I am getting. Between that and my general work outs I am smashing my goals left and right. Plus its allowed me extra desserts here and there without worry of it hanging on in the form of weight. I suppose as we enter into the bitter cold Dutch winter my thoughts might change but I have gloves,coat and a knitted cap and so far so good!

I've got a quick and frugal chili recipe to share that my entire family loves. It's a super basic recipe that honestly needs some extra help in the flavor department. I am going to give you the recipe as is and then give you tips on what I do to boost the flavor and serving sizes up a bit. I am feeding a small army these days.

Autumn Pumpkin Chili

1 medium Onion,diced
1 Green Pepper,diced
1 Yellow or Red Pepper,diced
2 Garlic cloves,diced
1 lb. Meat of choice
1 (15 ounce) can of Pumpkin Puree..or 1-3/4 cups homemade
1 (14 ounce) can Diced Tomatoes,undrained
4-1/2 tsp. Ground Chili Pepper
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1 tsp. Salt

Sautee the onion and peppers in a small amount of oil until tender. Add garlic,cook for one minute longer. Crumble meat into pan and cook over medium heat until no longer pink-drain if necessary.

Transfer to a greased slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. 

Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours.

** Here are my additions**
1 TBS Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon..trust me..it works
Beans of choice..to bulk this up a bit I added in pinto beans one time and have added in black beans and even chickpeas. I keep these on hand in my freezer but one normal can of beans that have been drained and rinsed will work just fine.
You can use any squash puree..pumpkin,sweet potato,butternut...whatever you have on hand!

Top each bowl with sour cream and shredded cheese and serve with homemade bread or rolls.

Serves 4-5 big servings based on my additions
Source: Taste of Home