Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Pumpkin Maple Cinnamon Rolls

              
                 This year I embraced all things Fall. I headed into the stores with a gusto. I bought up every variety of squash I could get my hands on. I picked up bags of brussel sprouts and stopped for a moment to see if the world did in fact stop spinning. I hated brussel sprouts as a kid. They were bitter and horrible and gag worthy. However, I decided to pull my big girl panties up and give them another go after seeing the roasted brussel sprouts posts all over my news feed on Facebook. I paid attention and gave in. I am so glad I did because I absolutely love them. I'd say over the course of the last few months I have eaten them 1-2 times a week.

My freezer is full of pureed squashes which makes me happy since I have plenty of time to play around with new bread recipes...like this one! My favorite cinnamon roll recipe at the moment. Their soft and huge and fluffy and HUGE. These suckers grow like crazy in the oven so be prepared!

Pumpkin Maple Cinnamon Rolls

1/2 cup Warm Milk
2-1/2 tsp. Active Dry Yeast
1 cup Pumpkin Puree..or Squash of choice
4-3/4 cups All-purpose Flour..plus more as needed
1/3 cup (75 grams) Unsalted Butter,softened
1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1-3/4 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon

Filling:
1/2 cup (113 grams) Unsalted Butter,softened
1 cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
1-1/2 tsp. Cinnamon

Maple Glaze:
1-1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
2 TBS Milk
1 tsp. Maple Extract

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook,add the warm milk and yeast. Add in remaining ingredients and mix on speed 2, for 8-9 mins or until the dough becomes smooth and elastic..Don't panic if you need more flour..puree from different squashes can have a larger water content so it's not abnormal if you need to add more..I did! Place your dough ball into a greased bowl,turning once to coat. Cover and allow to rise in a warm spot until doubled in sie, about 1 hour or so.

In a small bowl,combine the brown sugar filling with the cinnamon.

Sprinkle your counter top with flour. Deflate the dough and knead it a few times in the bowl before turning it out onto the floured surface. Roll the dough out into a 15x9 inch rectangle. Spread the butter evenly across the dough and then sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture all over the butter. Starting with the long end begin rolling up the dough tightly and then pinch the dough across to seal the seam. Roll it over so that the seam is facing down.

Spray two 9 inch cake pans and set aside. Using either a knife or better yet..fishing wire! slice into 12 rolls. Place cut side down into prepared pans. Cover and allow to rise until puffy, 30mins to 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375/90. Uncover the rolls and bake 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

In a bowl,combine the glaze ingredients and drizzle onto cooled rolls. Devour. Right away.

Yield: 12 Cinnamon Rolls
Source: Plain Noodles