Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Orange Walnut Snowballs

                    
                 Our alarm clock goes off at 4:15 am.. 5 days a week. I head downstairs with my husband and get the coffee on and work on breakfast and packing his lunch. He's out the door by 6:20 and I won't see him again until 7:30 at night..and that's only if there are no problems with the trains..and there are always problems. Now that we're pushing 41 we are slightly more tired these days and often times our smiles don't quite reach our eyes and the need to give each other that hug or encouraging word is very real. We're living in stressful times and the weight on the shoulders can be extremely heavy at times and the desire to carry more so the other can have a break is constant.
       
        When I see that a boost is needed..either by my side or his, I usually head into the kitchen. There is something honestly comforting to me about being in there and knowing that with just a few ingredients I hand over a plate of sunshine when my husband or two sons walk through the door. I can extend a plate over the fence to my neighbor and pass along the smile and encouragement I think we all need from time to time.

So go make someones day with cookies. Make your own day with cookies. Curl up with a good book or watch your favorite movie that you know by heart or if you are anything like me, you are smiling to yourself as you mentally prepare for the holidays that are arriving quicker than your realize!

Orange Walnut Snowballs

1 cup Butter,softened
3/4 cup Powdered Sugar
Zest of one Orange..Any size will do
1/2 tsp. Orange Extract
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 cups All-purpose Flour
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 cup Finely chopped Walnuts
Additional powdered sugar for coating

Preheat oven to 350/180. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment..or in a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the orange zest and extracts. Combine the flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts.

Shape into 3/4 inch balls and place onto prepared cookie sheet 1 inch apart.

Bake 7-12 minutes or until bottom of cookies are lightly browned ( in my oven that took 7 minutes but it can take up to 12 but start checking right before the 10 minute mark). Remove cookies to wire rack and allow to cool completely.

Pour additional powdered sugar into a bowl and place each cookie into bowl,turning over and over until completely coated.

Store in airtight container

Yield: 36 cookies
Source: Taste of Home