Monday, October 5, 2015

Chocolate Orange Challah

             
                    Do you have a bucket list? I've got one. It's filled with breads I want to bake before my hands give out and I can't knead or braid or twist or fold again without being in pain. I'm probably strange for having a bread bucket list but I'm feeling pretty ok about it these days.
             
 
          A few days ago I tackled Challah. I actually had nightmares about this braid. I thought about it for days and days before I started. I watched THIS video on how to do the braid correctly and turned the volume down since I learn better with just the visual and replayed it over and over. I was pumped and ready to go. I doubted myself during the entire process and vowed to never do it again..because there was no way it was going to work.

But oh did it! If I had been by myself I can assure you I would have shed a tear or two because it blew me away. The author describes the bread as a twist on challah and babka and I would say that is indeed the case. It's one heck of a beautiful loaf of bread. The flavor is incredible and if you are a fan of all things,orange and chocolate then you must give this bread a try.

I decided to not post the recipe for this but instead encourage you to head over to Yin and Yolk and get it straight from the source. The tips and directions are spot on and honestly better than anything I could do here myself. I am not set up to take photos as I am doing something and she provides plenty of visuals as well as directions. It seems like there are a lot of steps, but honestly it's mostly waiting for the dough to rise in between each step. You can do this.

The only change I made was to use milk chocolate simply because that's what I have in my cupboard. My kitchen is cooler these days so my dough needed slightly more time to warm up when I took it out of the fridge. I was blessed with a beautiful sunny window which allowed my bread to rise comfortably for a few hours and was rewarded with a huge loaf of bread that left my family oohing and aahing and with me beaming from ear to ear.

I will be baking this again. Head over to Yin and Yolk for the recipe and click HERE for the video on how to form this beautiful shape!