Monday, June 29, 2015

Asiago Sandwich Buns

       

                 It's happening..it's finally happening..Summer has arrived! Not only has she arrived but promises to dazzle us with nearly 100 degree temps a few days this week. That's big time for us,folks. So in preparation for said high temps and massive humidity I am sure,I am heating up my kitchen now so that I don't have to do it later on. I've got plenty of bread,rolls and flat breads in the freezer. I've got watermelon chillin in the fridge,apples,banana's,lettuce for salads and yogurts in a variety flavors to eat for a light snack.

I am so ready for this week. My garden is ready and has been ready for a few months now. Summer has finally reached The Netherlands!!!!!

We have a store here that loves to have themed weeks..We get American week,Spanish week,German week and Italian week. For American week you can get things like jelly beans,gross flavored fry and hamburger sauce,various ice cream flavors and mini t-bone steaks and fake hot dogs they try to claim as being American. A few weeks ago with was Italian week and I was finally able to score some Asiago cheese! I'd never had it before but a few of my expat friends swore by this cheese and kept mentioning their love for the Asiago bagel from Panera Bread. Now, I've never been to a Panera Bread but anything in bagel form with cheese is always ok by me.

I found several recipes to try that used the cheese and decided to go with this recipe. I made the buns larger so that we could use them for the main part of our meal and was so glad I did. I made them for the first time on Saturday and we absolutely loved everything about the bun. The cheese on top was perfect and the buns were fluffy and soft and made the best sandwiches ever. I baked them again this morning and popped them into the freezer to be used later on this week.

Asiago Sandwich Buns

1 cup Warm Milk
1/2 cup Warm Water
1 TBS Honey
2-1/4 tsp. Active Dry Yeast
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1-1/2 tsp. Salt
4 cups All-purpose Flour
1/2 cup Finely grated Asiago Cheese

In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the milk,water,honey and yeast. Stir to combine and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Add in the oil,salt, and 3 cups of the flour. Turn the mixer onto speed 2 and mix with the dough hook attachment for 7 minutes while adding in remaining flour in 1/4 cup measurements..you want a smooth and elastic dough. Transfer the dough bowl to a greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size,1-2 hours.

Gently deflate dough and using a weight scale,portion out 4 ounce pieces of dough. Shape into a tight round ball and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Gently press down on each dough ball to slightly flatten them ( they are going to get huge in the oven so don't worry about flattening them out..or don't flatten them..it's up to you!). Cover with a tea towel and allow to rise 30 mins-1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375/190. Brush the tops of each bun with milk or an egg mixture and sprinkle the cheese on top. Gently press the cheese onto the bun to make sure it doesn't fall off while baking.

Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Devour.

** Not feeling the ginormous bun size? make them smaller. I decided to go big but you can make them slightly smaller by dividing the dough into 10 pieces..or go smaller. It's up to you**

Yield: 8 Large Sandwich Buns
Source: Little Kitchen,Big Flavors