Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Raspberry Jam Buttermilk Muffins

                
                 I apologize for the lack of postings on here..Spring is a busy time for me. I am knee deep in tiny seedlings,garden renovations,running out and soaking up the sun and warmth when it decides to show up, and tons of time spent in the kitchen trying to remember everything I learned in my bread class! 
                 
         My fridge always has a variety of jams in it and we go through periods where we eat a lot of it but as quickly as we love it one week, we ignore it for the next two. I decided to pull the jars out and see what I could do about using them up.

Here's my answer! You can use whatever jam you want and switch out the topping if you prefer. You can leave the almond extract out,add in cinnamon,use shredded coconut on top or leave them plain. I've done all of those depending on the jam I am using.

Raspberry Jam Buttermilk Muffins

2 cups Flour..I use half whole wheat and half all-purpose
3/4 cup Sugar
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup Buttermilk
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Almond Extract
1 Egg
Jam of choice
Sliced Almonds for the top..or shredded coconut!

Preheat oven to 375/190. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with liners and set aside.

In a large bowl,whisk together the flour,sugar,baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk,oil,extracts and egg. Whisk until thoroughly combined.

Add one tablespoon or so of batter to the bottom of each muffin liner. Next drop in a tablespoons worth of jam into the center of the batter and then top with remaining batter. Sprinkle the top with sliced almonds.

Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan for 2-3 minutes before removing to wire rack. Cool completely or eat warm..These freeze well!

Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: Heavily adapted from The Big Book of Bread