Friday, March 20, 2015

Chocolate Almond Bundt Cake

                  
              I don't know how you feel about this week but for me, it was a long one. Next week is looking the same as this one so to celebrate all of us surviving it, I baked a bundt cake!

Every time I bake a cake I realize why I will never ever ever..ever become a cake baker and decorator on any sort of professional level. I don't enjoy it. Love eating cake but not baking one..Which is why I stick with bundt cakes more than anything. They don't always require crazy amounts of sickingly sweet frosting and usually they need nothing more than a light dusting of powdered sugar or a very light glaze. I can handle that. I bow down to you magical cake bakers and decorators. You are amazing!

I love the chocolate and almond combination when it comes to sweets and then bundt cake is delicious. It's moist with a wonderful hint of almond that comes from both the cake and the frosting..and speaking of frosting. I didn't have enough. I wanted it to drizzle down the side but it wasn't happening so I worked with what I had and made the best of it.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! Mine will be spent getting more seeds planted,working on taking down the chicken coop,grocery shopping and hopefully some bread baking at some point!

Chocolate Almond Bundt Cake

3/4 cup ( 170 grams) Unsalted Butter,softened
1-2/3 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
3/4 cup Sour Cream or Plain Yogurt..I used low fat
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Almond Extract
2 cups All-purpose Flour
2/3 cup Cocoa Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350/180. Grease one 10 inch fluted bundt pan with nonstick spray and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl,cream butter and sugar until creamy. Add in eggs,one at a time,beating well after each addition. Add sour cream and extracts; mix well.

Combine dry ingredients and add to the creamed mixtures alternately with buttermilk,beating well after each addition. Pour into prepared pan and smooth the top.

Bake 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.** Mine was done at the 45 minute mark so you might want test yours around that time** Cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Frosting:

5 TBS (70grams) Unsalted Butter,softened
2-1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Almond Extract
3-4 TBS Milk

In a small bowl,cream together powdered sugar and extracts. Add in enough milk until frosting achieves desired spreading consistency. Sprinkle with flaked almonds.

Yield: 1-10 inch bundt cake
Source: Taste of Home