Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Take A Peek Wednesday: Seeds and A New Friend



           It's that time of the year folks!!! that absolutely wonderful time when you start placing your order for seeds! I look forward to this because it means there is an end in sight to all of this grey cold weather. Spring is on the way and planting season is about to begin. I thought long and hard about what I was going to grow in my container and raised bed gardens this year. I really wanted to focus on what me ate the most of and kind of step away from planting things that either never work for me or barely produce vegetables. So goodbye to pumpkins,watermelons,and eggplant. I actually managed to grow eggplants for the first time ever last year but I only got 4 and I decided to use my space differently in my small green house.

I am focusing on cucumbers,zucchini,carrots and potatoes. I still need to pick up a few more seed packets. I want another packet of rainbow carrots and way more sprouted potatoes to grow hopefully twice as much as last year. We loved those! I also decided to grow a few new things...

        We have a local store here that has some kind gimmick going on a few times a year..buy 10 euro worth of food and get some sort of prize. I wasn't really excited about any of them until now. For every 15 euro that is spent you will get one tiny seed pot to grow your own fruits and vegetables! I had to stop myself from jumping up and down and screaming yes! when the cashier asked if I wanted a few of the pots. You never know what you are getting until you slide the little peat growing box out and look at your tiny tag. I decided that whatever I was given during the promotion that I would do my best to grow. So far I have,one container of broccoli, two spring onions and one radish container. I am so excited and hope they all sprout!
               
  
         Since my birthday is on Dec 1st, my youngest son has always gotten me something having to do with Christmas. For years he has picked out a new snow globe to add to my collection..but not this year! This year he went to my favorite garden center and purchased a grow your own Christmas tree gift set! It came with the seeds and a burlap bag of dirt to plant it in. So out of the 10 million seeds it seemed like I planted a few months ago, this was the only one to come up. I'd like you to meet, Charlie. I have such wonderful plans for this little guy. Speaking of friends..lets meet him!
           


          I went out to feed the girls and spotted this little guy. We both just stood there and stared at one another. We even moved in closer at the same time to kind of see how the other one felt about the whole situation. I call him Tiny Tim. I asked that he please stay out of the covered food containers and to please not jump out and scare me like he did this time.

Who's growing a garden this year?? let me know what you are planting!