Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Maple Pecan Muffins

              
                   I am sloooowly making my way back to the blogging world. I've been staring at this blog and wondering where it's going. Do I keep it up or just walk away? I don't have the answer so for now you get a muffin recipe!
               


             I loved the maple flavor and the crunch of the pecans. The muffin is moist and the topping adds another hit of sweetness. I successfully reduced the amount of sugar in these muffins without compromising on the flavor. I also used whole wheat flour and will makes notes where I changed things up.

Maple Pecan Muffins

1-3/4 cups All-purpose Flour..( I used 1 cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 APF)
1 cup Rolled Oats
1/2 tsp. Salt
3 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
3/4 cup Brown Sugar..I went with just under 1/2 cup
1 Large Egg
1 cup Milk..I used low fat
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
1 TBS Maple Extract
1 cup Chopped Pecans

Topping:
2 TBS Cold Butter,cubed
1/4 cup Brown Sugar..I reduced to 2 tablespoons
2 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour or Whole Wheat
2 TBS Oats

Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with liners and set aside.

In a large bowl,whisk together the flour,oats,salt baking powder and cinnamon.

In another bowl,whisk together the egg,milk,vegetable oil and maple extract. Pour the wet into the dry and mix just until combined. Fold in the pecans. Fill each muffin liner 2/3-3/4s full.

In a small bowl,combine the topping ingredients and using your fingers, cut the butter in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly on top of muffin batter.

Bake 17-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan for 2 minutes before removing to wire rack.

Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: Lemon Sugar