Friday, January 30, 2015

Big and Fluffy Hamburger Buns

                     
                Friday has finally arrived and I for one am glad to see it. It's been another week of early morning wake up calls and generally not getting enough sleep. The older I get the harder it is to sleep an entire night without waking up. I've had home on my mind lately. It's almost been a year since my brother passed away and I have still not made peace with it. I have such an unease inside of me now and the need to go home to help my parents is growing stronger by the minute. Times like these I hate being so far away.
          When it gets to be to much I head into the kitchen to bake bread. It's the only thing that takes the edge off of my anxiety and allows me to focus on something else for awhile. Thanks goodness for bread :)
                     
   
                  You can't really tell by the photos but these buns are kinda big..and fluffy and oh so tender and perfect. I love the whole wheat in the recipe and the butter,milk, and egg helps keep everything soft and delicious. If you are looking for a new bun recipe to try, I hope you give these a chance!

Big and Fluffy Hamburger Buns

1/4 cup Water
1 cup Milk
3 TBS Butter
1 TBS Sugar
2-1/4 tsp. Active Dry Yeast
1 Egg
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1-1/2 tsp. Salt
2-1/2-3 cups All-purpose Flour

In a small saucepan,combine the water,milk and butter. Heat over low and cook just until the butter starts to melt (110-115f). Take off the heat and add in the sugar and yeast.

Pour into a stand mixer and add in the egg,whole wheat flour and salt. While mixing with the dough hook attachment, add in enough remaining flour to form a soft smooth and elastic dough...should take about 6-8 minutes on speed 4. Shape into a ball and place in a lightly greed bowl. Cover and allow to rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Gently deflate dough and place onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 8-9 balls and shape each one into a tight round ball. Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Flatten each ball until it's less than an inch thick and about 5 inches across. Cover with a tea towel and allow to rise for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350/180. Brush each bun with either milk or water and sprinkle sesame seeds or nigella seeds on top. 

Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.

Cool on wire rack.

Yield: 8-9 Hamburger Buns
Source: Recipe Fiction