Monday, December 1, 2014

Orange and Cardamom Bundt Cake..and Turning 40!!!!!!!

                        
                   So guess who turned 40 today...40!!! I don't know..this number has stopped me in my tracks and really has me thinking. I don't know if it's because my 30's seemed to fly by or what but turning 40 has me in a bit of a..where do I go from here mode. 

My birthday was spent with the 3 most important people in my life and the older I get, the more I realize how special that is. I have never been the type of person who needed to be constantly surrounded by others. I am not easily impressed and have a hard time sitting in a room full of people who are all about themselves. I keep my numbers small when it comes to friends and have reaped the benefits in doing so. I'm all about the quality and not the quantity..unless it's chocolate and then I want large amounts of both!

So lets chit chat about cake.. I am not a cake person. At all. I wasn't going to bake one at all until I saw the sad faces of my two teenaged sons. If I'm totally honest, they just wanted cake. They didn't care that I didn't want any and was fine with not having one, they just wanted cake for themselves. So I got up this morning and baked a bundt cake in stead. I love a good bundt  and a quick drizzle in place of a mound of frosting suits me just fine. Orange and cardamom is quickly becoming one of my favorite combinations for the fall and winter season and to be honest,I have been on a massive orange zest kick and I've been adding it into everything I can. The cake is moist and each flavor and spice comes through perfectly. 

Orange and Cardamom Bundt Cake

3 cups All-purpose Flour
2 cups Sugar
1 TBS Baking Powder
2 tsp. Ground Cardamom
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Salt
3/4 cup Orange Juice
2/3 cup Vegetable Oil
1 TBS Orange Zest
2 tsp. Lemon Zest
1 tsp. Vanilla
3 Large Eggs

Glaze:
1 cup Powdered Sugar
1-2 TBS Orange Juice

Preheat oven to 350/180c. Grease a 10-inch tube or bundt pan with nonstick spray. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of flour into the pan and turn the pan around as you coat all sides with the flour..shake out any access. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl,whisk together the first 6 ingredients. Make a well into the center and add remaining ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Spoon batter into prepared pan,spreading evenly.

Bake 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If the cake is becoming to brown,tent with foil.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes in pan before removing the cake and allowing to cool on a wire rack.

Combine the glaze ingredients and enough orange juice to reach the consistency you want. Drizzle over the warm cake.

Yield: 16 servings
Source: Cooking Light