Monday, December 8, 2014

Mint Chip Sugar Cookies

                
                    This year marks the first time since I moved here that I won't be attending a Christmas market in Germany. The last few years my husband and I have noticed a switch. It's become to commercial for our liking. We're seeing more mass produced items at the stalls than anything else and it's lost a lot of its charm sadly. That didn't stop me from pulling out my favorite Christmas market mug and filling it with coffee and peppermint mocha powdered creamer!!! That plus these cookies gave me a nice swift kick of Christmas cheer and filled the house with the most delightful mint scent.

The recipe calls for mint chocolate chips and sadly that just doesn't exist over here. You won't find any flavored chocolate chips. However, like a good hoarder,I had a bag of the andes mint chocolate chips stashed away in the freezer. It ws my last bag so when I make these again at some point I will just chop up After Eight mints and hope for the best. I'm pretty sure it will work..especially if I chop and then maybe freeze them before adding them to the batter.

If you are a mint freak like myself then you totally need to make these! they are perfect in every way.

Mint Chip Sugar Cookies

1 cup Butter,Softened
1-1/2 cups Sugar
2 Eggs
1-1/2 tsp. Peppermint Extract
2-3 Drops of Green Food Coloring
3 cups All-purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
1/2 tsp. Salt
6 oz Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips
6 oz Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350/180. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer or handheld mixer for a full 3 minutes. Add eggs,food coloring,and extract. Cream for a further 2 minutes.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour,baking powder,baking soda,cream of tartar and salt. Add to creamed mixture and mix just until combined. Using a wooden spoon,mix in the mint and chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded 2 tablespoons worth of dough onto prepared pan.

Bake for 10 minutes ( cookies will take on a slightly cracked appearance and that is ok). Cool on sheet for 2 mins before removing to wire racks.

Yield: 4 Dozen
Source: Little Dairy On The Prairie