Friday, December 19, 2014

Eggnog Mini Loaves

       
                    Soooo there's no eggnog in this country. Well,let me rephrase that. They have what's called, Advocaat. And it's nasty. It's like a creamy custard type pudding with a strong taste of brandy and not much else. Plus they sell it on the shelves and not cold..and that creeps me out. I had the misfortune of tasting it when I first arrived here and stay a healthy 10 feet away from it now. So yeah..they have that and some say it's kind of like eggnog, but they are full of it. It's not. Don't be fooled. I've never bothered to make eggnog myself because I would be the only one drinking it and after one or two glasses I am good until next year. So since 2007 I have avoided all eggnog based recipes. 

Until now. Sometimes it takes me ages to acknowledge the light bulb that is blinking on and off inside my head frantically. Why couldn't I just swap out the eggnog for buttermilk? After all..the actual flavor of eggnog is,nutmeg,cinnamon,vanilla and a hint of rum and all recipes include most of that since I am not totally convinced you get a full on eggnog flavor without the addition of the spices and extracts. So I went for it and wouldn't you know..it tasted just like eggnog. I loved the flavor and so did the men in my family. You could add a eggnog glaze if you like but we were happy with it as is.

Eggnog Mini Loaves

2-1/4 cups All-purpose Flour
2-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda..Only if using buttermilk
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2-1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
2 Eggs
1 cup Eggnog or Buttermilk
3/4 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Butter,melted
2 tsp. Vanilla
1-2 tsp. Rum Extract..I went with one and found it to be perfect

Preheat oven to 350/180 c. Grease mini loaf pans with nonstick spray and set aside.

In a large bowl,whisk together the flour,baking powder,baking soda (only if using buttermilk),cinnamon and nutmeg.

In another bowl,beat eggs,eggnog or buttermilk,sugar,melted butter and extracts;Stir into dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Pour into prepared pans.

Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for a few mins before removing from pans and allowing to cool on a wire rack.

Yield: Several mini loaves..depends on how many you have
Source: Taste of Home