Monday, December 22, 2014

Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Bars

             
                    Only a few days left until the big day! Are you ready??? My husband has the week off and thankfully we were able to get a bunch of stuff done over the last few days. We made our way into the city center to do a bit of secret Santa shopping,managed to grab a bite to eat,and enjoyed the time together. Back home I am reading about friends who are grumbling over having to spend part of their Christmas with family members they don't get along with or feel exhausted over how many holiday meet ups they need to squeeze in. Over in my world I am just happy that my husband has the week off to spend with us. Folks, life is to short to be doing anything you don't feel good about. You should be spending the holiday as you want, not how someone else envisions it for you. If you want that calm Christmas then it's up to you to make that happen. If you need a place to go just holler!

My freezer is full of wonderful things to feed anyone who should stop by. These bars would be on offer and let me tell you something..they are super addictive and a snap to whip up. You'll need some dried cherries though and I only have one bag! I should have bought a ton more but wasn't sure if I was going to like them or not. I pretty much love them. I suppose you could use dried cranberries and that's what I plan on doing when I make these again.

If you still need one more thing to add to your cookie plates, then this is it!!!

Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Bars

2 cups All-purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 cup Unsalted Butter,room temp
2 cups Packed Light Brown Sugar
2 Large Eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla
1-1/2 cups Old-fashioned Oats
1 cup Semi sweet Chocolate Chips
1 cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut
1 cup Dried Cherries
1/2 cups M&M's,chopped..optional

Preheat oven to 350/180 c if using a metal pan or 325/165 for glass pan. Spray with nonstick spray and set aside.

In a medium bowl,whisk together the flour,baking powder,baking soda and salt.

In a large mixing bowl,beat butter and brown sugar on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Reduce the mixer to low and beat the eggs in one at a time and mix until thoroughly combined. Mix in the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Mix in the remaining ingredients,minus the M&M's,with a wooden spoon. Spread the batter into the prepared pan evenly. Sprinkle M&M's on top.

Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean..Do not over bake. Cool on wire rack completely before cutting into bars.

Yield: depends on the size of each bar
Source: Barbara Bakes