Monday, November 17, 2014

Onion French Bread

                     
                   Is everyone ready for Thanksgiving? We are going to have this weekend since that's what works out for the family. I bought my annual turkey in Germany about a month ago and then went back this weekend to pick up one more. I've decided to cook that one up early December and freeze the meat for Christmas day. I really dislike having to cook anything other than a nice breakfast that morning and figured if I got my act together way before the day arrives we should have plenty of things to nibble on.

Like this bread for instance. It will be making an appearance on both days I think. It has such a wonderful flavor from the onion soup mix and it's so easy to make! plus..you get two loaves out the deal. One for now and one for later..or one to share..or one to hog for yourself because you deserve it. I was sitting on the couch yesterday morning and I decided to try and stuff the bread before rolling it up. I had some shredded cheese and ham to use up and I can say without a doubt, this bread is awesome when stuffed. I am thinking it will be stuffed with turkey left overs at some point.

** For my Euro people: They don't sell the normal onion soup mixes like we are used to. They do however sell a dry french onion soup mix here in NL and that is what I used. I imagine they would sell something similar in Germany. It tastes just like the stuff back home and I have heard from other expats that they like to use the mix to make dip with as well**

Onion French Bread

5-5-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
1 envelope Onion Soup Mix..I think I used 4 TBS of my mix
4-1/2 tsp. Active Dry Yeast
3 TBS Sugar
2 tsp. Salt
2 cups Warm Water
2 TBS Butter
** Optional egg wash if you want one; egg white mixed with a tablespoon of water**

In a large mixing bowl,combine 2 cups of flour,soup mix,yeast,sugar,and salt. Add warm water and butter. Beat on medium speed with dough hook attachment. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Continue to mix on medium speed until a smooth and elastic dough forms,about 3-4 minutes.
  Place the dough into a greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise in a warm spot until doubled,about 1 hour.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Punch dough down. Place dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 4-5 times and divide in half. Roll each portion into a 14x6 inch rectangle. Starting with the long side roll the dough up. Pinch along the edge to seal into the dough and place seam side down onto prepared pan and tuck the ends of the dough under. Repeat with remaining dough and place along side the other one. Cover with a tea towel and allow to rise until doubled, about 30-40 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celsius. With a sharp serrated knife,make 3- 4 shallow diagonal cuts. Brush with egg wash and bake until golden brown, about 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool on wire rack.

** If you decide to stuff the bread at some point,sprinkle toppings onto the dough once you have rolled it out into the rectangle shape and then gently roll it up and make sure to pinch and seal everything to make sure the melted cheese doesn't ooze out**

Yield: Two Loaves
Source: Taste of Home