Friday, November 14, 2014

Lentil and Rice Soup

                    
                   Sometimes I don't want to think about food. I don't want to think about what is for lunch and most of the time I don't even want to think about dinner. I am about to turn 40 and as I look back on my life thus far..I've done a ton of cooking. I started out young and it's starting to catch up with me. I am honestly sick of cooking and I am not sure if I am ever going to like to again.

 I've looked at it in all different ways..be thankful you can be home to make your family healthy meals..don't care right now! Be proud of yourself for getting off of 95% of prepackaged foods..don't care right now! Be ever so thankful and proud of your family for not being picky eaters and loving all the meals you make..even the most humble of dinners..Don't care..ok, that's not true. I am actually super happy about that one. My family is forever happy with whatever I place in front of them. I can plop down a huge loaf of freshly baked bread with a salad and they're happy. I'm currently on a soup kick and this one is loved by all of us. It's humble,cheap,filling,healthy,and delicious. Serve it with baked bread or rolls or maybe some crackers. The leftovers store well in the fridge and makes delicious lunches throughout the week.

Lentil and Rice Soup

3 TBS Olive Oil or Butter
2 Shallots,Diced
1 Onion,Diced
1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 tsp. Dried Rosemary
1/4 tsp. Dried Thyme
6 cups Chicken Stock..plus more as needed
1-1/2 cups Lentils..red,green,orange..whichever you like
1/2 cup Brown Rice..I use the quick cooking type
Salt and Pepper to taste or any additional seasonings you might want to add..Make this recipe your own!

In a large stock pot, heat up the oil. Add in the diced shallots and onion. Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes,rosemary, and thyme. Continue to cook until the shallots and onions start to caramelize.
   Add the broth and bring to a boil. Pour the lentils and rice into the boiling water. Give a quick stir. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils and rice are cooked to your liking.
  Salt and pepper to taste. Feel free to top each soup bowl with sour cream or feta or with nuts.

** The soup can become very thick while simmering and you made need additional broth if you want a less thick soup. It will also thicken when cooled down and stored in the fridge. To reheat the soup,place into a soup pan and pour in desired amount of broth to bring back the soup consistency.**

Yield: Depends on the size of the serving!
Source: The Elliot Homestead