Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Beet Bread

               
                        This is,hands down, the most colorful bread I have ever produced. It's shockingly pink with red beet bits..and you know what? it tastes amazing!

I know,I know..beet bread? seriously? I am serious. It's wonderful and earthy and makes one heck of a vehicle for a killer grilled cheese sandwich. There is a slight beet taste to it but not over the top. The best way to describe it is..earthy. While it was baking in the oven it gave off an almost dirt smell. I really thought I had done something wrong but I guess that's the smell of beets while being cooked. I saved myself the trouble of dealing with beets by purchasing a jar of cooked beets. You can buy a raw one and then peel it and cook it but I honestly had visions of my entire kitchen being covered in splattered blood red juice..no thanks.

The loaf is semi dense and if you make..please try it when making a grilled cheese sandwich. It's honestly incredible when toasted.

Beet Bread

3/4 cups Warm Water
1 tsp. Sugar
2-1/4 tsp. Active Dry Yeast
3-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
2 tsp. Salt
1-1/2 cups Beet Puree
2 TBS Olive Oil

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the warm water,sugar,and yeast. Let stand for minutes. Add in the remaining ingredients and knead on speed 4 with the dough hook for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. You may or may not need a small amount of flour to achieve this but only add what you need. I don't recall needing anything extra.

Place the dough ball into a lightly greased bowl,cover, and allow to rise until doubled,about 1-1/2 hours.

Remove dough from bowl,and place onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a tight ball and place onto parchment paper. Cover with a tea towel and allow to rise until doubled, about 45 minutes-1 hour.

Place a baking stone into the oven while the oven heats up. Preheat the oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Sprinkle a small amount of flour on top,make an X with a serrated knife.

Bake 30-35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when taped on the bottom.

Cool completely on wire rack.

** If you don't have a baking stone just pop the bread and parchment paper onto a baking sheet and bake as directed.**

Yield: 1 beautifully colored loaf
Source: Tablespoon