Monday, September 1, 2014

Sweet Potato Bran Muffins

                  
                Whew...I'm back! Did everyone enjoy their summer? My teenaged sons have been back in school for two weeks now and I have been enjoying the last few free moments with my husband. He's had several months off as he waited for a new job to start and it's honestly been amazing to have him home. We were able to get a ton of things done around the house and worked on several projects together. All good things must come to an end though and he was heading out the door once again. I baked a ton of bread and buns today because I didn't know what else to do with myself!

I have so many bread recipes to share..tons of sourdough breads as well. For now..I give you a wonderful muffin recipe to welcome in Fall...Because it's coming you know..Are you ready?

If you don't want to use sweet potatoes then sub pumpkin puree for it. The original recipe called for it but I can get my hands on sweet potatoes all year long and pumpkin is always a challenge. I have never once noticed a difference in taste or texture when using one or the other so I stick with what is readily available to me.

Sweet Potato Bran Muffins

1 cup Buttermilk
1/2 cup Sweet Potato Puree
1-1/2 cups Crushed Bran Flakes
2 Eggs,Beaten
2 TBS Molasses
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
1-1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Line a muffin tin with liners or spray with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk,puree,and crushed cereal.Let sit for 5 minutes.

Stir in eggs,molasses,brown sugar,and vanilla and mix until combined. Add in remaining ingredients and gently mix to combine.

Fill each muffin tin evenly with batter. 

Bake 14-17 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Remove from tin and allow to cool on wire rack.

Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: 365 Days of Slow Cooking