Monday, September 15, 2014

Pizza Bread

                    
                        As I zoom along my bread journey it has become very apparent that I am no longer posting anything but baked recipes..baked bread or some kind of dessert. I always saw myself as someone who enjoyed both cooking and baking but it's simply not true. If I could get out of cooking dinner and do nothing but bake various breads all day..well I'd be one happy woman. I'm going to be taking some time to re adjust my blog. I was losing interest in it because I felt like I needed to balance my love for all things yeast with some kind of dinner menu. We still eat very well..healthy from scratch meals but I have zero interest in photographing it and posting about it.
                         


                    I decided to stick with what I love and start posting those recipes instead. This is a baking blog..in all forms..breads,cookies,bars,muffins,bread,bread, and more bread. I can deny this no longer!

Whew..now that we have that over with..lets talk about this wonderful pizza stuffed bread. First of all,it's easy to make. Second of all,it's good both warm or cold. And third of all..it needs one hour of rising time on the counter and then one more hour in the fridge! You can use your families favorite toppings or like me, make it a ton of different ways depending on what you have in the fridge.

The most important thing regarding this bread is to make sure everything is sealed up tight. You do not want the mozzarella cheese oozing out and landing on the bottom of your oven ( that did not happen to me..but only because I caught the ooze quick enough). You should also allow the bread to cool down slightly before eating. It will give the mozzarella time to slightly firm up and allow the bread to settle. If you cut into it to quickly your dough will appear gummy. So give it a resting period and you'll be glad for it!

Pizza Bread

2 tsp. Instant Yeast
1-1/2 cups Warm Water
3-1/3 cups All-purpose Flour
2 tsp. Salt
1 TBS Sugar
2-1/2 cups Favorite Pizza Toppings;diced peppers,olives,pepperoni, etc
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
2 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 TBS Olive Oil
1 jar of Pizza Sauce,for dipping..optional

In a large bowl of a stand mixer sprinkle the yeast over the warm water. Let sit for 3 minutes. Add in the flour,salt, and sugar and mix using the dough hook ( this can all be made by hand by the way..grab yourself a large bowl and mix it up with a wooden spoon),mix until combined. Add in the toppings and parmesan cheese and mix well. The dough is going to be tacky, but if it feels to tacky,add a tablespoon of flour at a time until it feels only slight tacky and comes together in a ball. This took about 4 minutes in my stand mixer and I did need to add additional flour to bring it all together.

Shape into a ball and place into a greased bowl and turn once to coat. Cover and allow to rise for one hour, THEN put it in the fridge for one more hour.

Dust your counter top with flour. Take the dough out of the fridge,gently deflate and turn out onto the floured surface. Roll the dough out into a rectangle,about 11x7.

Sprinkle the mozzarella on top. Then,fold along the long side,like an envelope ( to make sure you did it right,fold the long side up half way towards the middle,then fold it over one more time. The seam should now be on the bottom or close to it. You want to make sure it's sealed up.So give it a good pinch.) Tuck the ends all the way under and make sure they are closed up good! Place your dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet or if you have one, bake it on a pizza stone! Cover with a tea towel and allow to rest while the oven heats up.

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celsius. Bake the bread for 30-35 minutes,until golden brown. About half way through tent the bread with foil if it appears to be browning to quickly. 3 minutes before the bread is done,brush the top with olive oil...but only if you want. I usually skip this step.

Gently take the bread out of the oven and allow it cool slightly on a wire rack. Leftovers need to be stored in the fridge.

Yield: One big fat yummy pizza loaf
Source: Inspired by Charm