Monday, July 7, 2014

Whole Wheat Orange Blueberry Drop Biscuits

             
                      Summer vacation is in full swing over here..and with that comes with two forever hungry teenage boys. It.Never.Ends. The crazy thing is, they don't snack in between meals. Ever. I suppose on one hand I should be happy that they aren't constantly on the hunt for something to eat but when they do eat? wow. I'm seriously impressed with the amount they are able to put away with out ever gaining weight. If I sound envious,it's totally because I am. I am on the cross trainer 6 days a week to keep up with my love of all things bread. Like these drop biscuits.

For some reason I am not into the proper rolled out biscuits. I just don't have the time nor the patience for it. Drop biscuits? I'm all over those. They are quicker,taste just as good and you can mix and match the flavors and add ins.

Blueberry and orange is one of my favorite combos and with some added whole wheat for good measure you can pretty much feel awesome for plopping these down in front of your kids..and then watching in awe as they inhale them before you have time to serve milk.

Not a fan or orange? swap it out for lemon. It's all good!

Whole Wheat Orange Blueberry Drop Biscuits

1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup All-purpose Flour..or use all WW
1/2 cup Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 cup (8oz) Orange Yogurt..I used low fat
1 Egg
1/4 cup Butter,melted
1 tsp. Orange Zest
1 cup Fresh or Frozen Blueberries

Glaze:
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
1 TBS Orange Juice..plus more as needed
1/2 tsp. Orange Zest

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celsius. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease with nonstick spray;set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the first six ingredients.

In another bowl,whisk the yogurt,egg,butter and orange zest until blended. Add to flour mixture,stir just until moistened. Gently fold in blueberries.

Drop by tablespoonfuls 1 inch apart onto prepared pan. 

Bake 15-18 minutes or until light brown.

In a small bowl,combine the glaze ingredients;stir until smooth. Drizzle over warm biscuits.

** If using frozen blueberries, use without thawing! Not a fan of blueberries? try raspberries**

Yield: 12-15 Biscuits
Adapted From: Taste of Home                        




2 comments:

beets+birch said...

these look great! the wild blueberries will be coming into season here soon, i will give them a try!
like how versatile the recipe is.
fan of a drop biscuit too!

Sonya said...

I have yet to spot wild blueberries. I have got to get my hands on some of those!