Friday, May 23, 2014

Zucchini-Red Pesto & Cheese Drop Biscuits

                  

                What a beautiful week we had over here. It was so sunny and warm..something we really needed around here. My container garden is flourishing thanks to the extra bit of sun and we were able to get some much needed chores done in the yard.

Zucchini has been on sale recently so I decided to take advantage of it. I am currently growing my own but it will take awhile before I get over loaded with it and decided to get a jump start on trying out new recipes that use it.

These drop biscuits are sensational! I've made them twice already and there are so many different ways to change these up. The original recipe calls for sun-dried tomatoes but I used sun dried pesto instead. I made it again with roasted red peppers and a friend made it with yellow curry paste! 

You can make these any size you like..I use my 2 inch cookie scoop and get around 18 drop biscuits..just remember to adjust the time accordingly.

Zucchini-Red Pesto & Cheese Drop Biscuits


2-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 TBS Baking Powder
1/2 cup Cold Butter,cubed
3/4 cup Shredded Zucchini;squeezed dry
1/2 cup Shredded Cheese
1/4 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
2 TBS Sun dried Pesto or sun-dried tomatoes,patted dry and finely chopped
2 TBS Minced fresh Basil or 2 tsp. Dried Basil
1 cup Milk of choice..I used low fat

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl,whisk flour, salt,and baking powder. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs by using your finger tips or a pastry cutter. Stir in zucchini,cheeses,pesto,and basil. Add milk,stir just until combined.

Drop by 1/3 cupfuls or your size of choice onto prepared pan,flatten slightly with wet fingers.

Bake 20-26 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm

Yield: Depending on size..12-18
Source: Taste of Home