Monday, April 21, 2014

The Cake Slice Baker's April Cake: Coconut Strawberry Trifle

        

                  Here we are again...time to showcase our next cake we all voted on to bake. And who are we? Glad you asked..we're The Cake Slice Bakers and we're baking from Great Cakes by Carole Walter. Each month a selected cake has been picked and we all bake it..and then discuss.

I went out on my own with this one. It was supposed to be a layer cake but we're not a frosting family. I decided to bake it in a 13x9 pan and freeze it to use on Easter..which by the way, I hope you all had a wonderful one! Anyway, I turned it into a trifle and layered plump chopped up strawberries in between the layers along with whipping cream. It was delicious I must say.

Here's what I know about Carole Walter. The woman loves sugar and she enjoys giving you step after step with each and every recipe. Sometimes I'm ok with that but mostly I ignore it all and do myown thing..which I've done with all of her recipes. I cut the sugar back,added a small amount of coconut extract,and watched it bake up beautiful in the oven. The cake is moist with just a hint of coconut. Would I make this again? I totally would. I still have a small stash of cake in the freezer to be enjoyed once the kids head back to school tomorrow. I feel no guilt about this.

Check out what everyone else made!