Monday, March 17, 2014

Cheese Bread

                  

                 Before I left for the U.S. I went on a massive bread baking spree to make sure my three guys were taken care of while I was away. I was a tad envious of what they would be enjoying while I was away and looked forward to their reviews. This bread was one that I made before I left and wasn't able to try it myself. I was told that it tasted fantastic and could I make it again. I sure could! I was curious about it too so I baked some up the other day to finally try it out myself. I was not disappointed. 
                                   
       
                   If you love grilled cheese sandwiches then you must make this bread! I'm not trying to tell you what to do but I can personally say that we loved it with shredded mozzarella cheese and sun dried tomato pesto! It also makes an excellent BLT sandwich and should you have any left over,it makes fantastic croutons! An all purpose bread for you. You're welcome. Go bake it!

Cheese Bread

2-1/4 tsp. Instant Yeast
1/4 cup ( 2 ounces) Warm Water
1 cup (8 ounces) Warm Milk
1-1/4 tsp. Salt
1 TBS Sugar
3-1/2 cups ( 14-3/4 ounces) All-purpose Flour
1 cup ( 4 ounces) Finely Grated Cheddar Cheese..I suggest Sharp!
1/2 cup (2 ounces) Finely Grated Parmesan
2 TBS Softened Butter or Vegetable Oil
2 tsp. Tomato Powder or Tomato Paste..optional for color

Combine all the ingredients and mix and knead them together,either by hand or in a mixer,until you've made a soft,smooth dough. Adjust the dough's consistency either with more water or flour as needed- the dough should be soft but not sticky. ** I used my Kitchen aid for this and didn't need to add anything extra to my dough**.

Shape into a ball and place into a lightly greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise for one hour, or until it's puffy ( though not necessarily doubled in bulk).

Grease a 8x4 inch loaf pan and set aside. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured or greased surface and roll the dough into an 8 inch log. Place into prepared pan,cover with a tea towel and allow the bread to rise until the outer edge has just barely risen over the rim of the pan,about 45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 or 180 celsius. Bake the bread for 35-40 minutes,tenting it lightly during the last 10 to 15 minutes if it looks like it's browning to quickly. Remove the bread from the oven,take it out of the pan and tap the bottom to check for that hollow done sound. If it doesn't sound hollow place it back in the oven for a few more minutes. When done, take it out of the pan and allow it cool completely on a wire rack.

Yield: One Loaf
Source: King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion