Monday, January 20, 2014

The Cake Slice Bakers January Cake: Old Fashioned Pound Cake

      
            So here we are again..it's the 20th and that means I need to share the latest cake we at, The Cake Slice Bakers,have whipped up.  We are baking from,Great Cakes by  Carole Walter. I had high hopes for this one..way high.

I am frustrated with this cookbook in a sense. I have yet to create something from this book that I have enjoyed. This is the third cake from this book that I found to be tasteless and rather,dare I say? boring. I am hoping as we go along that we are able to sink out teeth into an actual cake recipe that blows us all away because I am really due for such an occasion. 

This was the first pound cake recipe I have ever made and decided to go with a nut version. I also added in lemon to make it a lemon walnut pound cake but the end result was dry and underwhelming. I made sure to tent the top and didn't over bake it. Perhaps I need to try another recipe that uses cream cheese. I have heard those are very moist or maybe even a sour cream pound cake.

So here's hoping that next month I am blown away enough to share the recipe :)

    









16 comments:

Anne@FromMySweetHeart said...

Oh Sonya...I feel your pain! I am not a fan of this year's book. I have not liked any of the cakes we've baked so far. I have a feeling we will need to do a lot of improvising to get through the rest of the year. Try to hang in there...I'm hopeful that we will find that 'great cake' soon! By the way...your cake looks awesome and not dry at all! : )

OvenDelights said...

I'm really crossing my fingers next month cake works out better for everyone. I hate too see so many unhappy cake slice bakers :(

The Ninja Baker said...

Your lemon-walnut cake certainly looks fabulous =) And you make very good points, Sonya. Sour cream, Greek yogurt and cream cheese do influence cakes in wonderful ways....

Emily said...

Hi Sonya,
I do like the crumb texture of your cake, pity you did not like it cos of its dryness. On to the next cake then!

Sonya said...

There is a plus side to all of this..I am not tempted at all to eat the left overs! LOL

Here's hoping next month is a fantastic one!

Cupcakery said...

You, Anne and i are all in the same boat I think... This book has yet to impress but you know what I feel there is a hidden gem in there and when it pops, it's going to be amazing!!! Hazel x

P.S. Lemon and Walnut.. yummy!

Laura@bakinginpyjamas said...

Sorry to hear your cake didn't turn out well, I've heard it's a common thing for this month's cake. Lemon and walnut sounds like a lovely combination thought.

Laura@baking in pyjamas

Aileen Lee said...

I loved the walnuts!

Heather said...

I'm sorry you didn't like your cake. It looks good. Hopefully we will get a cake we call enjoy soon.

Felice Geoghegan said...

I love your idea of lemon and walnut, but sorry it was underwhelming for you. I'm wondering if buttermilk would be a better idea than milk, since it adds moistness. Hope you enjoy next month's cake better.

Paloma said...

Hopefully we can all together push through this book and find our way through better cakes! Hang in there... Your cake does look great though.

Melanie said...

I think maybe we will all need to learn to just tweak the recipes from this book in order to make them more exciting and flavorful. Your cake does look pretty though. :)

Grace Phua said...

Sonya, sad to hear that you didn't quite enjoy this cake like many of the others as well. Hope you persevere and continue baking though as we all bake towards our special cake that we will all agree that it's fantabulous. Nice cake though :)

Becca Looney said...

So sorry to her how this was the third disappointing cake. I haven't made mine yet and now I'm a little anxious because I have heard either spectacular reviews are crummy reviews; never in between. Maybe this next cake will work out!

ImWhisper said...

Sorry it didn't bake up to your expectations. It looks great though.
Lets hope that next month's cake is awesome for everyone!

:)
Holly

Diana Gale said...

I am so sorry you didn't like the cake - but lemon and walnut does sound good!!