Friday, January 10, 2014

Sausage-Cheddar Balls

                                                               

               I sometimes think moving a bazillion miles from everything I have ever known was the best decision besides marrying my husband I have ever made. In the time I have been away from the U.S. I have lost over 140 pounds, taught myself to bake bread, gotten off the prepackaged food wagon, grown my own food, am now raising my own hens for their eggs, and have learned to cook and bake from scratch. I can sometimes lose sight of everything I have done to change myself for the better. I honestly don't know if I would have done this had I not moved. I now realize that I was mentally and physically trapped before I came here. And now I'm not.

I'm pretty sure it's funny to read these words when you find out it all came about with this recipe. These sausage-cheddar balls won't solve any major crisis,but it's just one more thing I can now make from scratch for my family. All of the recipes I have found for these include Bisquick. I never realized how much I relied on that dang box until I moved here and discovered they didn't have it. So I just stupidly assumed I would never have those cheddar balls. Right before christmas I decided to finally hunt down a recipe for these once and for all so that I could make them christmas morning. I found it,made it,and it was epic. For us anyway. 

Our favorite way to eat these are when they are cold and not warm. The outside becomes crispy and they are perfect for dunking in your favorite sauce or eat them plain as they are fantastic either way. A word of warning: I caught my oven on fire when I baked these up on christmas morning! I didn't realize they would be so greasy, and it spilled over because I used a cookie sheet with no sides. Now I don't know if this will happen to anyone who uses breakfast sausage but I can't get that here so I used regular sausage that I took out of the casing. To be on the safe side, use a rimed baking pan with foil on the bottom and then place a wrack inside,coat it with nonstick spray and place the cheddar balls on that to cook ( I did this the second time I made these and it worked a treat). The fat drips down and you'll have non-greasy balls ( oh man, the jokes we can make with that sentence..reminds me of the SNL skit about sweaty balls!!)

Sausage-Cheddar Balls

1-1/4 cups All-purpose Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Ground Pepper
1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 cups (8 ounces) Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 lb. Breakfast Sausage or sausage of choice
1/2 Large Onion,Grated
3 TBS Butter, Melted

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celsius. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place a wire rack inside the pan and coat with nonstick spray. 

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour,salt,pepper,cayenne pepper, and baking powder. Add cheese and toss to coat.

Crumble the sausage over the flour mixture and add in the onion and butter. Get your hands in there and mix until everything is thoroughly combined. Roll mixture into 1-inch balls and place 1/2 inch apart onto prepared rack.

Bake until balls are golden brown and cooked through,about 20-25 minutes. Serve warm,room temp,or cold

Yield: 45 Balls
Source: Martha Stewart





4 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

It's amazing how far you've come...I know how hard it is to move to a foreign country you make it look so easy! I'm so proud of your weight loss I hope this will be my year to move more and eat less!

Sonya said...

This is your year for sure!!!

dcpeg said...

The sausage balls sound great but I'm more impressed with how you've adjusted and acclimated so well in another country and without familiar things. Did you always know you were an adventuress at heart?!

Sonya said...

haha..Do NOT be fooled by my writing..there are days I want to lay on the floor and scream when it comes to living here.

I am not adventurous..at all. I am one of those people that thrives on routine and hates anything that puts it into a tail spin. This move had me breaking out into hives and sometimes I want to go back so badly I can barely stand it.

I still cant speak the language so because of that I am a huge failure to alot of people and I have zero Dutch friends which makes me normal in the expat world here..since breaking into the Dutch friend circle is 99.9999% impossible but makes it kinda lonely at times.

So..yeah..lol