Monday, January 13, 2014

Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies

               

                    Cookies are something I don't make often enough and I have no clue as to why. I will pick up the odd pack at the store here and there and I'm just never happy with my purchase. For the most part,Dutch cookies are crispy and only come in a few flavors. I can vividly remember all of the cookie choices from home and I miss those. If it wasn't for the pure embarrassment factor I would do a post about looking for someone who will send me a box filled with nutter butters, fig newtons, iced animal cookies,a variety of Mother's brand cookies, and every other soft cakey cookie you can find. I suppose it's a good thing that I have the embarrassment factor going on or I would be one sick girl from eating all of those. Happy,but sick.

I know that making cookies yourself is always the safest bet when it comes to knowing exactly whats going in there and being able to skip on the additives and what not so here is a great cookie recipe that we recently inhaled.

They are thick and chewy and loaded with good things like, oatmeal,coconut, and chocolate chips. Large amounts of butter and brown sugar never hurt so whip these babies up and enjoy!

Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies

1 cup Old Fashioned Oats
2-1/4 cups All-purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 cup Unsalted Butter,softened
1-1/4 cups Light Brown Sugar
1/2 cups Dark Brown Sugar
2 Large Eggs..from your own hens if possible :)
1 TBS Vanilla
1 cup Shredded Coconut
12 oz Semi sweet Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celsius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Place the oats,flour,baking soda, and salt into a food processor or blender and blend for 30 seconds, or until coarse. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until light in color,about 1 minute. Add the sugars,eggs, and vanilla and mix until thoroughly combined. Add the dry ingredients and coconut and mix just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips with a wooden spoon.

Shape cookies into balls and place prepared pan. I used a 2 inch cookie scoop for my size and could have gone larger. Basically make whatever size you want and adjust the cooking time based on that. 

Bake 12-13 minutes. Allow to cool on pan for a minute or so and then transfer to a wire rack. 

Yield:2-3 dozen..depending on size
Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe