Friday, December 13, 2013

Gingerbread Cookie Cake

             
         Happy Friday! Another week has come to an end and we are one step closer to Christmas :) Guess what I'm doing as I type this blog entry up? I'm sitting here eating a Reese's Peanut Butter Tree that a friend sent to me from back home. I know this doesn't really mean anything to alot of you..some of you may not even like them or will say, I can get those anytime I want! Well, I can't so eating one of these sends me straight back home. Sure I could make a home version of it..but it's not the same. I can't help it. I want the prepackaged peanut butter tree goodness. It's salty and almost tastes like a Butterfinger! good golly, I can't remember the last time I had one of those. I also can't believe I just said, good golly! 
   
           
             It's the simple things in life that bring me the most amount of joy. It makes me happy knowing someone out there thought enough of me to send the family and I peanut butter trees. You know what else I love? this cookie cake. It fills every single need I have in a dessert; It's big,thick,soft,cakey,full of flavor, and can double as a present for someone...Just imagine this wrapped up in cellophane on  a pretty plate? no one will be sad to receive this as a gift.

I had to use blackstrap molasses because I have yet to find anything other than this and even that takes some detective work. I'm officially out and I won't lie..I am panicking. I want to make this again along with other molasses based cookies and unless I find more that won't break the bank cost wise, I'm going to have to go on a molasses detox program. I have to say that the more I use the blackstrap, the more I love it. I can't use it in large quantities because of how strong it is, but in small amounts,it's kinda delicious.

This cookie cake lasted all of one hour. I sent my husband an e-mail showing him what I made and wouldn't you know it, the man showed up 20 minutes later to eat some of it. You have to love a man who leaves work early because of how excited he is to sample something you made. The boys came home shortly after that..and well,it was gone after that. We loved it. Go make it.

Gingerbread Cookie Cake

1/2 cup Butter,softened
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Molasses
2 Eggs..freshly laid by your hens if possible :)
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp. Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp. Cloves
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Salt..my addition
2-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour

For The Drizzle:

1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
1/4 tsp. Vanilla..I bet lemon would also be nice
1 TBS Milk
Sprinkles,for decorating;optional

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celsius. Line a 9 inch round cake pan ( I used a springform pan) with foil and spray with cooking spray.

In a large bowl,cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Add in molasses and mix until it's smooth and completely combined. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. Mix in the baking soda,cinnamon,ginger,cloves,nutmeg,salt, and flour ( you can also mix those items together and then pour into the wet mixture..which is what I did).

Form the dough into a ball with your hands and then gently press it into the bottom of the prepared pan.

Bake it no more than 19-22 minutes. You want the top to be barely golden brown and is no longer shiny looking. I go nuts over a super soft,slightly raw middle cookie cake but if that't not your thing, then bake it a little longer..BUT not by much. You really want this to be soft and delicious.

Allow it to completely cool in the pan (it's really soft) and then take it out,peel the foil off and put it on something you can drizzle the topping all over ( I put it on a wire rack and then onto a cake platter after the drizzle had set).

In a small bowl,whisk together the drizzle ingredients. Pour into a plastic sandwich bag and snip one of the ends off. Drizzle your desired pattern onto the cookie cake and decorate in anyway that your heart desires. My heart desired a hot pink and greenish drizzle :)

Yield: 9 inch cookie cake
Source: Crazy for Crust