Monday, October 21, 2013

Rosemary Olive Oil Bread

      

             This weekend I made a decision to completely stop buying bread from the store. It's actually harder than it sounds..I've tried before to make the switch to making it all myself 100% of the time..but I have failed several times. I don't believe myself to be this snob when it comes to the bread from the store. It can be very good. We also have bakeries all over the place and they sell freshly baked bread as well. The truth is..I no longer feel comfortable buying it from the store because of all of the fillers they put in there and I don't want to pay the extra price for a bakery loaf when I know I can make it at home for pennies. I know not everyone can make the switch and find nothing wrong with that..but I have way to much time on my hands and decided to fill it up by baking crazy amounts of breads and buns to keep us going. I'm realistic though and have no problems with purchasing breads here and there so I am in no way anti bread unless it's made at home..I'm just kinda fed up with the poo bread sold in the stores.
              


             I suppose while I'm being honest I should also admit that I watched the documentary called, Food,inc and that kinda opened up my eyes. Has anyone else seen it? a must watch..especially if you live in the U.S. 
                      


            So now that I have that confession out of the way..lets talk about this bread! It's so soft and delicious! The rosemary isn't over powering,the whole wheat flour adds a great flavor, and sliced up and toasted makes a great fried egg sandwich! Bake some bread today!

Rosemary Olive Oil Bread

1 cup Warm Water
1 TBS Sugar or Honey
2 tsp. Active Dry Yeast 
1 tsp. Salt
2 TBS Fresh Rosemary,chopped or 2 tsp. Dried
1/4 tsp. Italian Seasonings
1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
2 TBS Olive Oil..extra virgin or regular
1-1/2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Bread Flour,plus extra for kneading
Egg Wash: 1 egg,whisked with 1 TBS Water
Dried Rosemary,for sprinkling on top

In a large bowl,combine the water,sugar,and yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Stir in the salt,rosemary,seasonings,olive oil, and whole wheat flour. Add the bread flour and stir with a wooden spoon until the dough forms a ball. Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes,adding in more flour as needed to prevent sticking,until smooth and elastic.

Shape the dough into a ball and place it into a lightly greased bowl,turning to make sure both sides are coated. Cover the bowl and allow the dough to rise until doubled in size,about 1 hour.

Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a tight ball. Place the ball onto a cornmeal dusted pizza peel or parchment paper,dust the top with flour and cover with a tea towel. Let rise until doubled,about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven and pizza stone if using to 400 or 200 celsius. Brush the risen loaf with the egg wash and sprinkle with dried rosemary.

Bake on the stone for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.

** If you don't have a pizza stone then don't worry you can use a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or sprinkled with cornmeal**

Yield: 1 round loaf
Source: A Hint of Honey