Friday, October 11, 2013

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

             If fall came in a cookie flavor..it would come in the form of pumpkin oatmeal cookies. After I baked these, I wanted to run out and buy a pumpkin to carve,buy a pumpkin flavored latte, jump into a pile of leaves, and twirl around like a crazy woman. The only one I managed to do was the twirling bit because for one..finding pumpkins here aren't easy, I've never drank a pumpkin latte because they don't exist here unless you head to Amsterdam and score one at a Starbucks,aaaand there are no leaves to be had at this point. So I settled on one twirl in my kitchen and a flurry of snapshots of the cookies in hopes of tempting my husband to come home from work early. Yep, I use food to lure the man home. I'm ok with this.  
              


         These cookies are crazy good and you just have to make them. They are soft,loaded with flavor,chunky,dip-able,moreish, and perfect in every way.

If you don't have pumpkin puree then don't worry, just use sweet potato puree..there won't be a difference in flavor. You can use whatever add ins that you want but I will list what I used so you get an idea. The only change I needed to make was to use blackstrap molasses instead of the regular kind. The reason being and this won't come as a shocker to long time readers is that I can't find the regular molasses. It's just not something they really use here I guess. Yes I know they sell it sometimes at the health food stores and yes I know you can purchase at the ubber expensive store in Amsterdam or online..but I live on a budget and I can't make myself spend close to 15 american dollars on a bottle of molasses. I was however able to score blackstrap when I found it in the international section of my store about a year ago. I bought every bottle I could and decided to learn how to bake with it. I actually don't mind the flavor of it and neither does my family. I thought it went very well with this cookie but will say it needs a 24 hour resting period to allow the flavor to mellow a bit. It didn't take anything away from the cookie and actually brought the whole fall flavor together in my opinion. So if all you can get is blackstrap, then give this cookie a try :) Do not leave the molasses out though. You need the flavor in this cookie.

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups plus 1 TBS All-purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 TBS Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice(or 1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg and 1/2 tsp. Ground Cloves)
1/2 tsp. Salt
1-1/2 cups Old-fashioned Rolled Oats
1 cup Butter
1/3 cup Dark Molasses
3/4 cup Dark or Light Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
3/4 cup Pumpkin Puree
1 tsp. Vanilla
1-1/2 cup Add-ins..I used a combination of chocolate chips,pumpkin seeds,chocolate covered sunflower seeds,chopped walnuts and dried cranberries.

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celsius. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

In a large bowl,combine the flour,baking soda,cinnamon,pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Fold in the oats; Set aside.

In a large saucepan over medium-low heat,melt the butter. Whisk in the molasses,brown sugar,and sugar. Add the egg and whisk until combined. Add the puree and vanilla and whisk until thick and completely combined. Pour into dry ingredients and gently mix just until combined ( the batter will be thick,heavy,and sticky..and that is ok). Fold in the add ins of choice.

Using a large cookie scoop..2-3 tablespoons,drop dough onto prepared pan and gently press cookies down.

Bake 13-15 minutes,until lightly browned and still soft in the center. Allow to cool 5-10 minutes on the cookie sheet before removing to wire rack to cool completely. These cookies actually taste better the following day!

** I think my cookie scoop was maybe a 2 tablespoon size because I got 30 cookies out of this. The original recipe states 15-17 cookies! mine were still huge so go with whatever size you have or just scoop of large sized dough balls with a spoon**

Yield: Depends on the size of your dough balls..I got 30
Source: Sally's Baking Addiction