Monday, October 7, 2013

Homemade Apple Butter

    


           Did everyone have a good weekend? My husband worked an early shift on Sunday so I was up with him at 5 am. I don't mind. Honest. As he left for the day I decided to take advantage of the early start and get a ton of things done. So in went the laundry,the sweeping and dusting, got the dough rising for No-knead Cheese burger buns, fed and watered the hens, and just basically kept on trucking for the rest of the day.
             


        I also decided to whip up some apple butter!!! I honestly can't remember the last time I had it..well at least 6 years since that's how long I've lived here..but really longer then that. I don't know why I didn't make it sooner than this..oh yes I do. I always thought you needed to can the stuff and I don't own any canning equipment. It's not like back home where you can hit garage sales and get everything dirt cheap. They don't even have garage sales here and when we do see it in the stores..it's anything but dirt cheap. So I never made it. Then I spotted this fantastic recipe and decided now was the time.

It was foggy and cold out and a perfect fall morning to make this. The house smelled of apples and cinnamon.And I was so happy. I baked up some buttermilk biscuits to go along with it and happily plopped it down for the family to devour.

Sometimes the simple things in life make you feel so crazy complete it's almost ridiculous. Apple butter did that for me. The recipe is so simple and I love that is uses half brown sugar and half honey. I have seen some recipes with crazy amounts of sugar and it's just not necessary and plain not good for you. 

In case you aren't sure what to do with the apple butter,let me give you some tips! We eat it on toasted and un toasted bread. We eat it on pancakes and waffles, on biscuits, stirred into yogurt and as a topping for ice cream. You can bake with it as well and I will be posting a recipe soon that uses it.

Fall is here..go make some apple butter!!!

Apple Butter

3 lbs Apples,peeled,cored and sliced
2-1/2 cups Apple Cider
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Honey
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/8 tsp. Ground Cloves

In a large saucepan,combine the apple slices and cider. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.

Stir in the brown sugar,honey and spices. Continue to simmer for another 45 minutes to 1 hour..until the apples have easily broken down and resemble a chunky applesauce.

Cool slightly and process in either a food processor..which is what I did or in a blender. You can also use one of those immulsion blenders but I don't own one of those yet. It's on my christmas list. Pour into an airtight container..like a jar and store in the fridge for up to 2 months.

Yield: 2-3 cups worth..I didn't actually measure it
Source: The Stay At Home Chef