Friday, September 6, 2013

Coconut Chip Coffee Cake

          


            Is it just me or do you find the first back to school week crazy? Last week was their first full week in high school and every single day I had two tired boys on my hands. It was a week filled with making sure everyone had their homework,lunches,keys and everything else they needed to make sure they made it through the day. By the end of the week, I felt like I needed to have something on hand that said..job well done on your first week.
                


          Since we are more of a coffe cake family than a frosted cake family, I decided to bake something up that combined everything we loved..chocolate,nuts, and coconut.
          


            I don't think you can go wrong with that combination..unless you don't like coconut and in that case..how can you NOT love it? I suppose in theory you could leave it out but don't tell me if you do because it would make me sad. I love coconut that much.

Like alot of coffee cakes, you need to keep an eye on this one. You don't want it to dry out so make sure you check it around the 35 minute mark. I checked at that time and it was totally done..and if I'm honest, I could have checked at the 30 minute mark aswell. So keep an eye on that and if you want more of a coconut flavor..add in some coconut extract! I will do that next time aswell.

It was loved by all and gone by the next morning!

Coconut Chip Coffee Cake

1/2 cup Butter,softened
1 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 cups All-purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup Sour Cream or Plain Yogurt

Filling/Topping

1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Flaked Coconut
1/2 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips..I used mini
1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 ceclius. Grease a 10-inch tube pan with nonstick spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sungar until lightl and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. 

In another bowl, combine the flour,baking powder,baking soda and salt;gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream.

Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan. Combine the filling ingredients and sprinkle half over the batter. Spread remaining batter on top and sprinkle the rest of the filling over the top.

Bake for 35-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from to wire rack.

Yield: 12-16 servings
Source: Taste of Home