Monday, September 9, 2013

Cheesy Drop Biscuits

      

       I watched summer leave last week..it left in one humid and sweaty blaze of glory. I think for the first time in a very long time,I am ready for fall. I still don't like the rain though. We had a pretty big storm roll in a few days ago and it was nasty. It was long over due though. It came down in giant hard drops and just didn't want to let up. The thunder and lightening followed soon after and then hail also paid us a visit. It's a bit calmer today..but the rain is out there and it will be back before we know it.
          
 
         During the week I bake 20 homemade buns of some kind as well as various other breads to keep us going. You'd be amazed how much I can bake in one week..I even surprise myself sometimes. By the time dinner rolls around I can't be bothered to do anything elaborate and sometimes I want to toss a bowl of cereal at everyone and watch them panic ( no one eats cereal except for me). It's times like these that I just love drop biscuit recipes. You bung everything into one bowl,mix,drop, and bake..that's it. Left overs are great the next day with some cheesy eggs..or make the cheesy eggs to go along with dinner..breakfast for dinner is loved by all in this house!

Cheesy Drop Biscuits

2 cups All-purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 cup (4 ounces) Shredded Cheddar Chese
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
2/3 cup Buttermilk
1/3 cup Canola Oil
Additional Parmesan cheese for sprinkling;optional

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celsius. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients. Add cheeses.

In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto prepared sheet. Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese if desired.

Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield: 10 Biscuits
Source: Taste of Home