Friday, September 13, 2013

Cheddar Loaves


                  Friends, it's been a long week. I'm not sure where I went wrong but I managed to make every single thing I did harder on myself..and on anyone else who got in my way. I had one of those weeks where you can honestly say that you weren't to proud of yourself and can see some serious room for improvement. I need to worry less about things that I have zero control over and learn how to breath a little more. 
               
 
         The one thing I did manage to get right is this bread. It's a beautiful thing. You can never go wrong with a cheese bread..like ever. I think the only way this bread could be improved is by adding in diced green chilies or maybe some crumbled up bacon..or both..YES! you need both! I see some bread baking going on in this weekend.
                 


             Look at the cheese in that bread..isn't it beautiful? the bread is crazy moist and if you are careful with the kneading in of the cheese..you too will get pockets of cheesy goodness when you slice into it...because cheesy goodness is a beautiful thing. A real beautiful thing.

So make this bread..like ALL my breads, this recipe isn't hard..mix it,knead it,proof it, shape it into two rounds,slice the tops and bake! that is it..the most difficult thing is warming up the water and milk. Trust me..you CAN do this!

Cheddar Loaves

3 tsp. Active Dry Yeast
1/2 cup Warm Water
2 cups Warm Milk
2 TBS Butter,melted
2 Eggs
3 tsp. Sugar
2 tsp. Salt
6-6-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
2 cups (8 ounces) Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese

** ( If you want to kill 3 birds with one stone,go ahead and heat the water,milk, and butter together in a saucepan. Heat it up slowly and allow the butter to melt as it cools down. You want the temp between 110-115 F) 

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast into the warm water and milk mixture. Add the eggs, sugar, salt, and 6 cups of the flour. Mix with a wooden spoon until combined. Stir in remaining flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic,about 6-8 minutes ( please note that you might need to add in more flour. I needed an additional 1 cup to bring everything together). Shape into a ball and place in a greased bowl,turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm spot until doubled,about 1 hour.

Punch down down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead the cheese into the dough. Divide in half; shape each portion into a 6-inch round loaf. Place onto parchment lined or greased baking sheets. Cover with a tea towel and let rise until doubled,about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celsius. Bake the loaves 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Yield: 2 Large Loaves
Source: Taste of Home