Monday, September 30, 2013

All Oats Cookies


               Happy Monday! I can't believe another week has begun. As always, our saturday was filled with running around. We headed over into Germany for a bit of grocery shopping. The meat department is a lot cheaper than in NL and it's nice to stock up when I am able to. I currently have the first pork stew bubbling away in the crock pot as we speak and a pot of hot coffee waiting for me..Because it's cold,people and cold weather means tons of coffee and hot meals. I'm not complaining though! oh no, not me. I will take these cold crisp and sunny days over the doom and glum that is headed our way soon enough. The hens are loving this weather too! The various breads we have prefer the cold and do very well in it. They are happily running around and pecking at anything that moves or crawls.
                


               In fact, here is Miss Astrid checking out the new treat ball we put in there. You fill it with chicken scratch and the more they push the ball around, the more the treats will fall out. It took them all of 7 seconds to figure it out and another 30 seconds to empty the darn thing. I went to the market this weekend to purchase them some different types of lettuce and cabbage to eat. I'm pretty sure they eat better than we do at this point. In fact, I know they do! All I know is that I had better see an extra large golden egg at some point as a thanks for all the healthy and delicious foods they get from me!
                 


             So lets talk oat cookies. No flour just oats. I don't need to watch my gluten intake but know of others who do. So this one is for them. These taste just like a chewy oatmeal cookie! These will appeal to both gluten and non gluten eaters. I mean seriously, how can you go wrong with oats,nuts and cinnamon? You pretty much can't!

All Oats Cookies

2 cups (6-1/4 ounce) Quick-cooking Oats
3/4 cup (2-3/4 ounces) Coarsely chopped Pecans or Walnuts
1-1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
4 TBS (2 ounces) Unsalted Butter,softened
3/4 cup (5-5/8 ounces) Packed Light or Dark Brown Sugar
1/4 cup (1-3/4 ounces) Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 TBS Cider Vinegar
2 tsp. Vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celsius. Lightly grease two baking sheets or line with parchment paper.

Combine the oats,nuts,cinnamon,baking powder and salt in a food processor. Pulse until the nuts are finely chopped and evenly distributed.

Beat the butter and sugars in a large bowl until smooth. Add the eggs,scraping the sides and again beating until smooth. Stir in the vinegar and vanilla, then the oat mixture. Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls onto prepared pans.

Bake the cookies until the edges are barely browned,14 minutes. Remove from oven and let them cool on the pans for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Yield: 42 Cookies
Source: King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking