Friday, August 9, 2013

Western Omelet Crustless Quiche

           


       It's friday..another week has come to an end..and it's been a long one. My husband has been working different hours over the last few weeks as they work together to cover shifts of those who are on vacation..and gosh,it's getting old now. Our favorite is when he has a late shift  ( home around 10pm) followed by a morning shift ( up at 5 am)..We are downing coffee during the day to keep functioning. I realise I don't have to get up with him during his morning shifts, but I love that quiet time we have together, and it makes me happy to get his lunch and breakfast made. I'm old school like that. Plus who wants to sleep in when there are chickens to be fed and a sunrise to enjoy?
    


         I've been working really hard on making meals using only the ingredients we have in the house and making a point to stay away from the grocery store. When I'm tired I can really do the mindless sort of shopping and not paying attention to whats going in my basket. I have decided to slash as much off from our grocery bill as possible and learning how to make due with what we have and learning to make new things from it all.

This quiche was one such creation when I had a little bit of ham,onion,cheese and peppers. I was super excited to spot this recipe and loved that it used flour and baking powder to create a crustless quiche with a little more oomph to it. It's a keeper!

Ham and Cheese Crustless Quiche

1 Medium Onion,diced
1 cup diced Ham
1 small Bell Pepper,diced
1 tsp. Seasoning Salt
2 Large Eggs
2 Large Egg Whites
1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
1-1/3 cups Milk..I used low fat
3/4 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Lightly grease a 10-inch quiche/tart pan and set aside.

In a medium frying pan, pour a small amount of oil or cooking spray and cook the onion and pepper over medium-high heat until onion is translucent and both vegetables are tender. Add seasoning salt and ham. Stir to combine and set the pan aside to cool for a few minutes.

In a large mixing bowl,whisk together the eggs and whites,flour,baking powder, and salt. Whisk in milk and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. Then add the onion mixture.

Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and top with remaining cheese.



Bake 30-35 minutes, or until center is set and the outside edge is golden brown. Allow the quiche to sit for a few minutes..as little as 5 and as long as 20. I prefer my quiche to be on the firm side so a 20 minute resting period works for me.

Yield: 6-8 servings
Source: Lemon Drop