Monday, August 12, 2013

Orange Banana Bread

      


           Happy Monday! I'ts been an interesting weekend over here full of our living room being flooded half way and having to wait for almost 5 hours for someone to come over to start pumping it all out (we discovered the problem at 4 am and then mopped and dumped bucket after bucket of water until almost 9 am)..and then waiting on the water company to figure out who's pipe burst and then fixing it. It was our neighbors pipe and the guy wasn't able to fix it on saturday. So they are next door now and they are ripping up his floor as we speak to hopefully fix the problem. We have damage to our place but thankfully the tiles we have in the living room along with the under floor heating is all ok. 

So lets talk about this quick bread now. I do so love banana bread and try as many different variations on it as I possibly can. I never thought to add orange zest but this turned out to be one of my most favorite ways to have it. I did put a small amount of orange glaze on top when they loaves came out just to give the orange flavor a bigger impact when eating it. As always, I wrapped up my loaves and allowed them to sit for a full 24 hours before eating. It freezes beautifully by the way!

Orange Banana Bread

1 cup All-purpose Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup Sugar..I used 3/4 but you could go lower
3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
3/4 tsp. Salt
1-1/2 cups ripe Mashed Bananas
1/4 cup Butter,Melted..I used oil
1/3 cup Plain Yogurt..I used Buttermilk
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 Eggs,lightly beaten
1 TBS Orange Zest
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray ( I used a mini loaf pan set).

In a large bowl,combine the flours,sugar,baking soda, and salt. In another bowl,whisk the bananas,butter,yogurt,vanilla and eggs until smooth. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until well incorporated. Stir in the orange zest and ground cinnamon.

Pour mixture into prepared pan evenly and smooth the top. Bake between 50 mins to an hour or until a toothpick inserted towards the center comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing and allowing to completely cool on wire rack.

** Some of the reviews stated the bread was soggy in the middle and that they needed alot longer than 50 minutes. To avoid this problem I used a mini 6 cup loaf pan. My bread came out perfect and incredibly moist. If you find your bread is not done, I would tent it with some foil to avoid becoming overly brown and then bake it longer.**

** I glazed the tops of my breads with an orange glaze that consisted of 1 cup of powdered sugar and 1-2 tablespoons of orange juice. I then allowed the breads to fully cool down and wrapped each one in plastic wrap and then in foil.**

Yield: 1 large loaf or several minis
Source: FoodNetwork