Monday, August 19, 2013

Jam Oatmeal Bars

  


          Awhile back a friend from Oregon sent me a jar of marionberry fruit spread..I pretty much held on to that thing for dear life. It was this connection I had to home and I was afraid to let go of it. So I stuck it in the fridge and it made me feel good to see it in there. It was almost like I was home again..to have a product in there that I could look at whenever I wanted. I know that sounds odd..but when you leave everything you know..sometimes you have to do odd things in order to keep functioning. I feel like an orphan about 95% of the time now. Family and friend relationships have become strained and the deep - seeded resentment has set in. It's alot to deal with sometimes and all I can do is grip the side of the counter top,take a deep breath and move forward.
   


    Thats why I decided to finally use the jar of marionberry..because I can't keep holding on to everything in hopes of never forgetting. I won't forget where I came from and who and what I left. We all have choices in life and sometimes you have to do things that other's don't understand or don't want to understand. It's not always easy making those big life choices..but at the end of the day it's your life. So live it.

So incase your're like me and you're holding on to a special jar of jam..use it in this recipe ( and then wash the jar while making sure to not tear the label off and then put it in your cupboard for safe keeping..because looking in your cupboard and seeing a jam jar from home makes you feel  much better). Incase you can get jars and  jars of marionberry..well I won't lie, I'm kinda envious but go ahead and use yours in this recipe aswell..Use any kind of jam for that matter. This recipe is quick and easy and downright delicious.

Jam  Oatmeal Bars

1/2 cup Unsalted Butter,softened
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup Flour,All-purpose or even whole wheat!
1-1/2 cups Old-fashioned Oats
1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 cup Jam..use your favorite flavor

Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper or foil and spray with nonstick spray..make sure you leave enough of the parchment paper or foil in there to use as a means to lift the bars out later on.

In a large bowl,cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth and creamy. 

In a seperate bowl,whisk together the flour,oats,walnuts,cinnamon,salt, and baking soda. Add to the butter mixture and mix until combined.

Press half of the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan and spread the jam over it. Crumble the remaining mixture evenly over the jam.

Bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Gently lift out of the pan using the sides of the parchment paper or foil and cut into bars.

** Make sure you allow the bars to completely cool down. They are super soft when they come out of the oven and need about 2 hours to cool down and firm up**

Yield:9 Large pieces
Source: The Tasty Bite