Monday, August 26, 2013

Chocolate Loaf

                

          Happy Monday! I hope everyone survived their weekend. Mine was filled with a visit from a great friends and their two wonderful dogs that we take care of while they zoom off to France for some rest and relaxation for around a month. They are having fun in our new place and getting used to the hens and all new sounds of living in a neighborhood with dogs!

 My 13 yr old headed off to high school this morning and I couldn't believe that I have two kids old enough for high school..time sure flies. He had a very easy day..as in, he needed to show up at 11 and was home by 12:30! My 15 year old heads to his high school tomorrow and also has an easy day and should be home by lunch time aswell..talk about a relaxed week for them. 

Can you believe I have never baked a chocolate loaf before? I see them alot on various blogs but it was just not something I tackled as of yet. I decided to rectify the situation as soon as I saw this recipe on my facebook feed. It was calling me and I decided to answer it! This is such an easy recipe to pull together and hello..it has chocolate in it!! The bread is super soft and has a wonderful subtle chocolate flavor. I added in ground cinnamon because I'm a sucker for the cinnamon/chocolate combination but feel free to leave it out if you don't share that same view. It's wonderful toasted and slathered in peanut butter and is equally delicious plain or with butter.

Chocolate Loaf

2-1/4-3 cups All-purpose Flour
1 TBS Cocoa Powder
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 tsp. Instant yeast
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon;optional
1 cup Warm Milk..I used low fat
4 TBS Melted Butter
1/2 cup Chocolate Chips..I used 1/4 cup mini
Slivered Almonds for the topping

In a large bowl,combine 2-1/4 cups of flour,cocoa powder,brown sugar,yeast,salt, and ground cinnamon. Make a well in the center and add in the milk and melted butter. Stir until thoroughly combined. You want a soft dough so add additional flour until you reach that constistency ( I needed a total of 3 cups of flour to reach that).

Pour the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. Add in the chocolate chips and gently knead until the chips are evenly combined into the dough. Shape into a ball;place in a greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size,1-1/2-2 hours.

Deflate the dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a ball and place onto a parchment lined sheet. Cover and rise 45 mins.

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 clecius. Brush top of loaf with milk and sprinkle with slivered almonds..make a few slashes across the top if desired.
          


     Bake 25-30 mins or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Yield: One Large Loaf
Source: Treat & Trick