Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Cheesy Zucchini Casserole

             


          You are going to have to forgive me when it comes to the picture of this fantastic casserole..but I live in the real world and sometimes there is zero time to whip out a wonderful picture of the meal you are about to eat. My family can get pretty testy when it comes to meal time and me telling them that they need to wait incase the slice I just took doesn't look right on the camera..or if I ask one of them to please blow on the food because the steam is messing with my lense...or if I ask that they not touch the rather large piece of dessert while they eat a smaller piece because I need that for a photo. So yeah, you get a real world shot with this recipe.
               


         It's been one of those weeks where I was rushed for time,not thinking straight, and plain blew it when it came to grocery shopping for the week. I am ususally so good at planning down to the last item but things have fallen to side a bit and I need to get on track. To be fair, I am not buying total crap food..infact, I am not buying enough! I usually meal plan for 7-10 days but this time around I managed 3 whole days. Soooo not cutting it when a family of 4.

So I panicked a bit when all I had was 2 zucchini and not much else to go along with it. I was so happy when I spotted this recipe. I had everything on hand and it turned out wonderful. I'm fairly certain this recipe can handle more add ins..such as left over diced broccoli or maybe even some left over ham or chicken..but leaving it as is works for us aswell. You could also get more creative with the spices,maybe adding in some sauteed onions or maybe even mushrooms!

Cheesy Zucchini Casserole

2 medium Zucchini,shredded and squeezed dry
1 Egg
1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
1 tsp. Dry Mustard
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1 cup (4oz) Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 cup Cooked Rice

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Grease a 9x9 inch pan with nonstick spray and set aside.

Place zucchini in a tea towel and squeeze out the liquid. 

In a large bowl, combine egg,yogurt and spices. Stir in cheese,rice, and zucchini. Stir until thoroughly combined. Spread mixture out into prepared pan.

Bake 25-30 minutes,or until lightly set in the middle and lightly browned. Slice into squares and serve with either as a side dish or as a main with freshly baked bread and salad!

Serves: 4 as a main dish
Source: Cupcakes and Kale Chips