Friday, July 26, 2013

Soft Wrap Bread

    


        Whew, this week has flown by! We had to get as much done as possible since my husband heads back to work next week..huge bummer on that one!

Some positives this week: Getting new passport photos taken..the last time I had one done,I weighed nearly 300 pounds..this time around I was 152 and the compairison was pretty shocking for me. I've actually forgotten what I looked like when I was heavier and it really is like night and day. 

I went for an eye exam and after all these years of never having problems, I now need glasses for reading and computer time. I kinda figured I did. My eyes have been tired and I noticed I was frowing alot when reading. The good news is..I'm still at 90% and just need some help. I had so much fun picking out a pair ( I've always wanted glasses since I was a kid!). 

I'm still trying to unpack boxes but it's been horribly humid here so those boxes can wait until it cools off a bit.

So lets talk about the wrap bread. I love them. My husband loves them and so do the boys. We stuff them with eggs for breakfast,lunch meats and cheeses at lunch time and taco meat or whatever else at dinner time. 

This recipe produces a wrap bread that is nothing like a tortilla but more like a Taco Bell-ish gordita texture wrap. It's chewy,pliable,soft and delicious. If you are a wrap fan like we are, then give this one a try!

Soft Wrap Bread

3-3-1/4 cups ( 12-3/4 ounces-13 3/4 ounces) All-purpose Flour
1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) Boiling Water
1/4 cup Potato Flour,or 1/2 cup(5/8ounce) Potato Flakes
1-1/4 tsp. Salt
2 TBS Vegetable Oil
1 tsp. Instant Yeast 

** Make sure you use instant yeast. It dissolves during the kneading process,so you don't have to knead liquid into the dough**

Place 2 cups of the flour in a bowl. Pour the boiling water over the flour and stir until smooth. Cover whe bowl with a tea towel and allow to cool for 30 minutes.

In a seperate bowl, whisk together the potato flour ( or flakes) and 1 cup of the remaining flour with the salt,oil,and yeast. Add this to the cooled flour-water mixture,stir,then knead for several minutes on the counter to form a soft dough.

If kneading by hand,keep your hands and work surface lightly oiled. The dough should form a ball but still be somewhat sticky so only add flour if necessary ( I've never needed to add any). Place the dough in a greased bowl and let it rise,covered, for 1 hour.

Divide the dough into eight pieces ( each the size of a handball, about 3 ounces), cover and let rest for 15-30 minutes ( I usually do 20). Roll each piece into a 7-to-8 inch circle and dry-fry them (fry without oil) over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes per side, until puffed and flecked with brown spots. Adjust the heat if they seem to be cooking either to quickly or too slowly; cooking too quickly means they may be raw in the middle,while too slowly will dry them out. Transfer the cooked breads to a wire rack,stacking them to keep them soft. Serve immediately, or cool slightly before storing in a plastic bag.

Yield: 8 Soft Breads
Source: King Arthur Flour The Baker's Companion