Friday, July 19, 2013

Soft Burger Buns

   


            I've had some really bad burger buns in my lifetime..and all but one came from the U.S.. To me there is nothing worse than a stale tastless bun and coming from a country that loves burgers so much..you'd think we'd get a better handle on those. When I moved here and spotted the "American Hamburger Buns" packages,I'd buy them. I'd come home,open the package and wrinkle my nose. Those weren't american buns..as bad as alot of ours are, these were a whole new level of bad.

 Now before someone gets upset with me I do want to say  that not all the buns are bad..that would be stupid to say. I've had some real decent ones but I'm talking about the gummy,tasteless,dry buns we've all boughten to many times while at the store. 
       



        Once I got into bread baking it only seemed natural to give the burger bun a go aswell. I have never been so happy! I think you owe it to yourself to give the homemade version a try. They are so soft,fresh,taste amazing and you can add pretty much add whatever you like to them within reason. You can add some shredded cheese to the mix,diced up green chilies,add in different spices or just leave them as is. Burger buns obviously make great burgers but they are also great as sandwiches or for breakfast with a fried egg and bacon tucked inside.

This recipe comes from King Arthur and honestly, not one of their recipes has ever let me down. I can't say enough positive things about them. Give these a try. It's not hard.

Soft Burger Buns

1 cup (8 ounces) Water
2 TBS Butter,softened
1 Large Egg
3-1/4 cups ( 13 3/4 ounces) All-purpose Flour
1/4 cup (1-3/4 ounces) Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
1 TBS Instant Yeast
1 tsp. Onion Powder; optional but worth adding
1/2 tsp. Dried Minced Onion; optional but worth adding

Combine all ingredients and mix and knead them together..by hand or mixer..until you've made a soft,smooth dough ( try not to add to much flour when kneading by hand). Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl,turn to coat,cover bowl with plastic wrap,and let rise for 1 hour.

Divide the dough into 8 pieces and shape each piece into a flattened ball. Place the buns on a greased baking sheet or sheets,cover with plastic wrap that has been greased (to avoid sticking to the buns), and let rise 30 to 40 minutes,until they are quite puffy.

Preheat oven to 379 or 190 celcius. Bake the buns for 12-15 minutes,until they are golden brown. Remove them from oven and cool them on a wire rack. 

Split and use for burgers or sandwiches!

Yield: 8-9 Buns..I got 9
Source: King Arthur Flour