Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Grilled Naan




          One of the things I am loving about my new house is the backyard. I've eaten out more times here than I ever did in our rental. The funny thing is, we are closer to our neighbors here with even less privacy,yet I feel way more comfortable. One one side of me there is a complete fence that runs along the entire length of our yard..so I basically don't see one of my neighbors. On the other side the second half is totally open. I guess the ex owner and these people were great friends. What I do love though is that the first half of both our places is set up so we both have some privacy. That means I can go out there and sit in this are and relax. I love that. We can still see one another of course but everyone gives eachother space..and I love that.

We've been enjoying our yard as much as possible. The weather has been beautiful and for us,that means grilling. We're crazy about flat breads and I couldn't wait to give this recipe a try. It's so easy to make and you can get creative with the toppings. I left some plain and the others I covered in a garlic oil and topped it with crumbled feta.
           


You can brush these with just some melted butter or you could turn these into naan grilled pizzas if you like..make sure you roll them thin and then watch them puff up on the grill :)

Grilled Naan

2-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
1 tsp. Instant Yeast
1 tsp. salt
2 TBS Sugar
2 TBS Plain Yogurt
I cup Warm Water
1 Egg

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes ( you want a nice smooth dough so it might take you longer than 5 minutes. If your dough is to sticky, then add additional flour as needed).

Place dough in a bowl thats been covered with a small amount of oil;turn dough to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 hour.

Divide the dough into 8 equal sized balls.Dust the tops with flour and cover with a tea towel;allow to sit for 30 minutes.

Heat an outdoor grill to high. Roll each ball of dough on a lightly floured surface into an oval shape that is very thin. Place carefully onto grill and cook 1-2 minutes or until bubbles appear and it puffs ever so slightly (not all of mine puffed so don't worry if yours don't either). Turn the naan and cook the other side for another 1-2 minutes. Serve warm.

** On a side note, I needed waaaaaay more flour than the 2-1/2 cups that were stated so don't be alarmed if you do aswell**

** You can cook these naan in different ways. You can brush one side with melted butter and place the butter side down first onto the grill and then brush more on the top side. I went ahead and placed my naan plain onto the grill and then when I flipped it, I brushed the cooked side with garlic oil and feta cheese. I closed the lid and let the cheese slightly melt. The possibilites are endless when it comes to toppings these guys. You could even brush the cooked side with melted butter and then a cinnamon/sugar mixture!

Yield: 8 Large Naan Breads
Source: The Stay At Home Chef