Monday, July 29, 2013

100% Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

           


               My husband headed back to work today and I baked muffins to combat the depression of it all. My husband and I have one of those types of relationships where we actually love being around one another..all the time! I shouldn't complain..he was home for 3 weeks and we got so much done! I'll post pics later this week to show you what I've been up to..besides the usual baking of breads and everything else :)
        


        So guess what I learned? European whole wheat is different from the American version. I don't get the bitter after taste that some complain about when using all whole wheat. My baked items come out lighter both in color and in taste. I don't experience the heavy texture either. I was also reading up on how many americans who can not eat wheat in the U.S. can infact eat european wheat without any problems what so ever. So there you go..a little wheat sharing from me to you!

This recipe comes from King Arthur Flour and like always they came out perfect in every way possible. They are light and fluffy,moist,not overly sweet and packed with delicious blueberries. I reduced the sugar to 3/4 cup and you could even go lower if you wanted or leave it as is. The choice is up to you!

100% Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

2-1/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon;optional
1 cup Blueberries,fresh or frozen
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
1-1/2 cups Buttermilk or Plain yogurt

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups with nonstick spray or like with baking cups,and grease the paper cups.

In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients,including the blueberries.

In a seperate bowl, whisk together the vanilla,veggie oil, and buttermilk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry,stirring just until combined.

Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups,filling them nearly full.

Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with coarse sugar or cinnamon sugar,if desired.

Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.

Cool the muffins in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely on wire rack.

Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: King Arthur Flour