Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Fast Cinnamon Yogurt Cake

   


             I'm obsessed with the cooking shows on BBC. I am soooo grateful I get those because the Dutch cooking shows just don't cut it.  Not even close. Not even kinda sorta if nothing else is on close. Thanks to the U.K. I am now fond of the Hairy Bikers, Chinese Food Made Easy, Country Show Cook Off and now Rachel Allen. I have seen shows of hers here and there but it wasn't until I watched her on the country show cook off that I was really able to see what she was all about.

All I can say is that she is a wonderful down home cook and baker based out of Ireland. I went looking up some of her cookbooks and decided to give Cake a try. It's not about the frosted american type cakes but things like bundt cakes and coffee cakes and cupcakes,muffins, steamed cakes,brownies,ice cream cakes, and yes the more labor intensive type ones aswell. I love her easy directions and how uncomplicated she makes it. I also love how living over in Europe has really opened up my eyes to the variety of foods here and how different they are from the U.S.

I'm pretty hooked on all things U.K. at this point. I was lucky enough to visit there when we first moved here and instantly fell in love with London. My time was all to short and I have been begging my husband ever since to go back. It's a wonderful place to visit and can really see myself gong back there again and again.

So here you go..the first recipe I tried. We loved it. It's a dense and extremely moist cake. It's so moist that you actually believe you didn't cook it long enough but it's due to the honey,yogurt and oil thats used. It has a wonderful light flavor with just enough cinnamon in there to make you all warm and happy on the inside. The cake stores very well and can be enjoyed over the course of a week..however it lasted only two days. I have feel zero shame in this.

The recipe is in ounces and grams..I can't stress enough how much you need a kitchen scale! I am able to cook from so many different types of cookbooks now since I'm not worried about the conversions..I weigh and bake :)

Fast Cinnamon Yogurt Cake

225g (8 oz) Self-rising Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 TBS Ground Cinnamon
75g (3oz) Ground Almonds
100g (3-1/2 oz) Sugar
2 Eggs
50g (2oz) Honey
250ml (9fl oz) Plain Yogurt
150ml (5fl oz) Sunflower or Vegetable Oil

Topping
1 TBS Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease the sides of a 9 inch cake pan with nonstick spray and line the bottom with a round piece of parchment paper ( I suggest using a 9 inch spring form tin since it will make removing the cake way easier than trying to flip it out. It's to moist for that).

In a large bowl, sift together the flour,baking powder and cinnamon;add the ground almonds and sugar and mix everything together.

In a seperate bowl, whisk together the eggs,honey,yogurt and vegetable oil. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and gently fold to combine.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing and allowing to completely cool off on a wire rack.

In a small bowl,mix the topping together and then place into a small sugar shaker and dust the top of the cake.

Yield: 6-8 servings
Source: Cake