Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Buttermilk-Orange Tea Bread

      


           My oven is slowly dying. One of the heating elements has gone out and my baked items are coming out a bit wonky. I keep pushing that poor thing and with only 16 more days to go until we move, I'm hoping my oven goes out in a blaze of glory at the end. The oven ticked me off in more ways than one and it wasn't uncommon to hear me cursing like a trucker when it wouldn't reach the highest temp or when the broiler never seemed to work or how long things took me to bake because I only had one oven rack. 

Still..we managed to find a common ground. I was still able to bake the loaves of bread like I wanted and I managed to bake almost everything else I wanted during the 6 years that I had it. I'm excited though to finally purchase an oven that I've wanted since we moved here and within a few short months it will be mine :)

        



             I baked this super easy quick bread a few weeks ago and thanked the semi broken oven gods that my loaf came out pefect. It was everything a quick bread should be..moist,flavorful and comforting. The orange flavor really comes through in this recipe and as always..love using buttermilk in everything that I can. This recipe is versatile and you can use whatever type of zest that you like; lemon,orange or lime. The one and only thing you can't change is the waiting time. You must wrap it up and allow it to sit for 24 hours. The waiting period allows the bread to settle and allows the flavors to come through. It's worth the wait. I promise.

Buttermilk-Orange Tea Bread

1-3/4 cups All-purpose Flour
3/4 cups Sugar..I used 1/2 cup and it was perfect
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 Egg
1 cup Buttermilk
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
2 tsp. Grated Orange Zest
3 TBS Orange Juice;divided
1 TBS Sugar..for the glaze

Heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease bottom and sides of a 9x 5 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray and lightly coat the sides and bottom with flour.

In a medium bowl,whisk the flour,sugar,baking powder and salt;set aside.

In another bowl,stir egg,buttermilk,oil,zest, and one tablespoon orange juice until well blended. Add wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until combined. Spread evenly into prepared pan.

Bake 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out with just a few crumbs. Allow bread to cool in pan on wire rack for 10 mins.

Meanwhile combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of orange juice and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Remove loaf from pan and onto the wire rack. Brush the glaze over the still warmed loaf and allow to sit until completely cool.

Wrap in plastic wrap and allow to sit for 24 hours.

Yield: 12-16 servings
Source: Betty Crocker