Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Whole Wheat Carrot Raisin Muffins

           


           It's time for another muffin recipe! Ever since I finally discovered Spelt flour while shopping in Germany I use it every chance I get. My family and I don't have issues when it comes to using regular whole wheat but I just love using different varities of flours and seeing how they turn out in recipes.

The original recipe only called for all purpose flour so just use that if you wish..but I used spelt instead. I made other changes by reducing the amount of brown sugar and using non fat yogurt in place of the sour cream. My muffins were moist,slightly dense (in a good way),froze beautifully, and made a perfect breakfast with low fat yogurt!

Whole Wheat Carrot Raisin Muffins

1-1/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup All-purpose Flour..I used Spelt
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking  Powder
1 cup Light Sour Cream..I used non fat plain yogurt
2 Large Eggs
1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1/2 cup Brown Sugar..I used 1/4 cup
1 tsp. Vanilla
1-1/2 cups Shredded Carrots
1 cup Raisins

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray, or line with muffin liners.

In a medium bowl,whisk together flours,cinnamon,pumpkin pie spice,salt,baking soda, and baking powder.

In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, eggs, applesauce, brown sugar and vanilla. Add flour mixture to the wet and stir just until combined. Stir in shredded carrots and raisins.

Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs. Cool in pan for 2-3 minutes before removing from pan and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.

Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: Barbara Bakes