Friday, May 31, 2013

Peanut Butter Cake To Celebrate

            


              May 18 is now a double celebration in our house. It not only happens to be the day my oldest son was born, but it also marks the day we landed in The Netherlands. This year it marked the 15th birthday of my son and our 6th anniversary of when we landed in Amsterdam. I honestly don't know where the time went on both accounts. I have a 15 year old! I mean seriously.. Fifteen!! That poor kid thinks he has it all figured out. I try not to let on that he really has no clue at this stage of the game. I'm 38 and still don't have it figured out.

      



    What he does have figured out at this point is that I must bake a peanut butter cake every single year for him. This started when we moved here and no matter how much I try and get him to request something else, he just won't do it. It must be peanut butter and it doesn't matter if it's a new recipe as long as I stay within the 1 requirement. So I can live with that.

I spotted this recipe and saved it right away. I knew this was the one. It has buttermilk and peanut butter plus peanut butter in the frosting. You just can't go wrong. I can't tell you how right I was about this recipe. The cake is by far, our most favorite one since I started making them for him. It was moist and slightly dense and the peanut butter flavor was incredible. I put the cake in the fridge after we had all had a piece and we all agreed that we loved it even more when it was cold. The peanut butter had longer to sit and the flavor came out even more..and well needless to say, this cake never made it beyond May 18.

I halved the recipe of frosting and that was plenty in my opinion but feel free to pile the entire thing on top. I baked this in a 9x5 inch cake pan but the recipe also states it can be baked in a 13x9.

So..6 years of living here..I don't have any witty words to say about this. I miss home..that goes without saying. I miss my family..that also goes without saying..but I'm here now and making the best of it and living life the best way I can...one cake,bread,cookie and muffin at a time.

Peanut Butter Cake

1-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
1/3 cup Peanut Butter
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 cup Buttermilk
1 tsp. Vanilla

Halved Frosting Recipe
1/2 cup Peanut butter
1/4 cup Butter,softened
1-1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
1/4 cup Milk

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease a 9x5 inch round cake pan with nonstick spray and set aside.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder,  baking soda, and salt.

In a large bowl, add the oil,peanut butter and brown sugar and beat until combined and creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat just until combined.

Alternately add the flour and buttermilk to the wet mixture,beating just until combined..do not over mix!

Pour batter into prepared pan evenly. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted towards middle comes out moist ( Not wet with batter but moist. If toothpick is dry,the cake is over-baked and will be dry). It took 40 minutes for my cake to test moist.

Cool cake in pan for 5 mnutes before removing and allowing to cool on wire rack.

To make frosting: In a bowl, combine peanut butter and butter and beat until smooth and creamy. Add the powdered sugar and continue to beat. Add in the milk and continue to beat until a smooth consistency is reached ( I needed about 2 tablespoons more to make that happen).

Spread the frosting on top of the cake. Serve and enjoy!

Yield: 8 servings
Source: The Daring Gourmet