Monday, May 27, 2013

Orange Buttermilk Rolls

 


          Growing up I never realised how different dinner time was at my house until I started eating elsewhere for dinner. We never had bread or rolls with butter on the table,we never drank soda with our meal, and my mashed potatoes came from actual potatoes and not from a box. I always left in a very envious way. I wanted what they had and didn't know why. My mom always made sure there was a hot meal every single night. She came home and prepared everything herself. Instead of being grateful I really wanted the tv dinners my friends were having and I too wanted that giant glass of soda to wash everything down with.

          



            I am grateful for the skills my mother had as a cook and baker because she passed those on to me..I suppose when you are younger you just don't realise how good you do have it and always think someone else has it slightly better. I can see it with my oldest son. He comes home to tell me what his friends eat and why don't we have a thursday french fry night and why don't we have instant cappuccino or a deep fryer? my simple answer is: Because that's not how we do it in our house. It's only later on that he admits that the fries made his stomach hurt and the cappuccino wasn't all that great either. I'm not saying I do it better than someone else but we do what works for us. I can see my mother's face and the frustration she had when I said I didn't want the real mashed potatoes but the fake ones. I imagine I have the same one as she did as my son tells me that every night his friends gets to make what he wants because his mother hates cooking. He doesn't realise how lucky he has it..and I can't wait until he fully figures it out.

So what does this entire post have to do with these rolls? It brought back memories when I read the title of them being dinner rolls. I couldn't serve them for dinner because I'm still trained not to. We eat rolls around Thanksgiving and Christmas and then thats it. When I do bake rolls like these,we eat them at breakfast or lunch because they are sweeter and that makes more sense to me. I'm not anti dinner roll at all..I just prefer sweeter type breads for breakfast and not dinner.

These are fantastic though and so fragrant from the orange zest. We split these open and ate them with butter and honey and enjoyed them on their own with a cup of coffee. These will be made often and served at breakfast :)

Orange Buttermilk Rolls

2 TBS Sugar
4 tsp. Orange Zest
3 cups All-purpose Flour
1-3/4 tsp. Instant Yeast
1 tsp. Salt
1-1/4 cups Warm Buttermilk (about 100-110 F)
1 TBS Honey
3 TBS Butter,melted and divided

Combine the sugar and orange zest in a large bowl. Rub the sugar and zest together with your fingertips until moist and fragrant. Add the flour and make a well in the center. Place the yeast inside of that well and sprinkle the salt around the outside of the well(you don't want the salt and yeast to touch).

In a bowl,stir together the buttermilk,honey and 2 tablespoons of the butter. Pour into the well and mix with a wooden spoon until combined ( If the dough is sticky add a few tablespoons more to bring it together). Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic,about 8 mins ** depending on your weather you made need more flour like I did to reach that point.**  Shape the dough into a ball and place into a large bowl that has been greased with a small amount of oil. Turn the ball once to coat both sides and cover with plastic wrap.

Let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 13 roughly equal sized pieces. Shape each piece of dough into a ball and place on prepared sheet about 2 inches apart. Brush the tops with the remaining 1 tablespoon of meted butter. Loosely cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with nonstick spray or lightly oiled. Allow to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celius. Bake the rolls for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer rolls to wire rack and allow to cool slightly before serving.

Yield: 13 Rolls
Source: Tracey's Culinary Adventures