Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Jalapeno Cheddar Buns




        May has turned out to be one annoying month weather wise. We have slipped back into the cold wet temps that has left much of us expats who live here craving soups and stews again. I know parts of the U.S. have been dealing with snow on and off so I know I shouldn't complain about our weather..but I can't help myself. My skin coloring has taken on a shade of white that would have me being cast in the latest vampire movie. When the sun does come out, I find myself running to the window to soak up as much of it as I can.

Since I know that bbq weather will be here at some point (please come soon!) I have been trying out various recipes that will come in handy when I am able to flick the switch on the grill. These buns are one such recipe! These will go great with grilled burgers,chicken or even veggie burgers. They will add a little pizazz to your normal sandwiches and are great when stuffed with peppers and eggs for breakfast.

I made these buns by hand..meaning no mixer was used. I found the dough to be very wet and needed to add more flour to achieve a smooth eleastic dough when kneading. We loved everything about these buns and will be making them often! I left out the additional egg that is to be used as a wash before baking them. I'm a cheapo these days and hate using an egg when a milk wash works just aswell.

Jalapeno Cheddar Buns

3-1/4 cups All-purpose Four;plus more as needed
1-3/4 tsp. Instant Yeast
3 TBS Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
7 oz Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
3 Large Jalapenos(seeds and ribs removed),finely chopped
1 cup Warm Water (100-110 F)
2 TBS Canola Oil
2 Large Eggs,room temp

In a large bow,combine the flour,yeast,sugar,salt,cheese and jalapenos; stir to combine.

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the warm water,oil and 1 of the eggs. Mix with a wooden spoon until combined. If you find the dough to be wet, add in a small amount of flour to bring it together.

Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic and adding in additional flour when needed( I made sure to leave my dough on the slight tacky side),about 10 minutes.

Coat a large bowl with oil and place the ball of dough inside,turning once to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise in a warm spot until doubled,about 75-90 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 8-10 pieces and shape each one into a round ball. Place onto prepared pan and flatten them slightly with the palm of your hand.

Cover pan with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with nonstick spray and allow to rise for 35 minutes.

In a small bowl,combine the egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Brush the buns with the egg wash ( or put a small amount of milk into a bowl and brush the tops of the buns with that).

Bake 25 minutes, or until the tops of the buns are a deep golden brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: 8-10 Buns
Source: Tracey's Culinary Adventures