Monday, May 13, 2013

Confetti Filling

        


          We are eating more and more vegetarian based meals in our house. I didn't actually plan it that way and it was something that just happened over time. I guess I'm becoming one of those people that questions where my food is coming from. There has always been meat scandals both here and in the U.S. We've had a horse meat scandal and that just bothers me more than I can say. It's one thing if you want to actually eat the horse meat but it's something else entirely when you put it into products that are clearily labeled "ground beef". I personally do not want to ever..EVER eat horse meat and thankfully I do not buy the prepackaged foods it was found in..it still makes me shudder. I realise the packaged ground beef is anything but stellar and thats another reason I have been sourcing alternative dinner ideas. Plus..the price of beef and poultry is crazy expensive now. We are still big meat eaters in our family but I'm happy to say that we are eating vegetarian around 4-5 times a week now!

         

    

        We love this vegetarian filling and it can be changed up to use the ingredients you and your family like and it can be used in many different ways. We eat it as a burrito filling,quesadilla's, served over brown rice or quinoa,used as a crustless quiche filling, and as a quick taco salad.

I leave the salsa as an optional here only because we eat it without it. The salsa that is sold in the stores here is just plain gross. I plan on making my own this summer so if you have salsa that you like,use it..if not, leave it  out and it's not something you will miss. The corn used in this recipe can be either frozen or from a can. I can't buy frozen corn here so I use canned when I have to and fresh when I can buy it at a resonable price ( 4 american dollars for two weenie corn on the cobs is NOT a reasonable price!).

Confetti Filling

2 Small Zucchini,Shredded
2 Medium Carrots, Shredded
1 Medium Onion, Finely Chopped
1 TBS Canola Oil
1 can (16 ounce) Kidney Beans,rinsed and drained
1 can (16 ounce) Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1-1/2 cups Frozen Corn,thawed
3/4 cups Salsa;optional
2 TBS or more Reduced-Sodium Taco Seasoning
2 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 cup (4 ounces) Shredded Cheese of choice
1/4 cup Minced Cilantro;optional

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the zucchini,carrots and onion in oil for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the beans,corn,salsa,taco seasoning and cumin. Cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and cilantro. Spoon into burritos,over rice,on bowls..eat it the way you want to!

Servings: 8
Source: Taste of Home